Commutes

Date: Oct 6 Mon
Weather: 60/85F sunny
Mileage: 16
October mileage: 113
Year to date: 2280

Date: Oct 8 Wed
Weather: 60/70F rain
Mileage: 17
October mileage: 130
Year to date: 2297

Date: Oct 9 Thurs
Weather: 55F foggy/73F sunny
Mileage: 18
October mileage: 145
Year to date: 2315

I don't even have that much energy to post. I'm bushed and feel sort of icky. I've had a small chest cold for several days now. It hasn't gone full blown and I chalk it up to the dry, warm weather we've had lately, but this week brought rain and I don't feel vastly better. I'm not sick, mind you, just pre-sick. I've ridden 3 of 4 this week, every day with a little added on, but I can't muster the juice to do a long one even though the weather is fantastic. This morning was especially cool. We had thick fog, quarter-mile visibility fog, with cool 50ishF temps. Coming up golfcoursehill I couldn't see more than 20yds in any direction. The fog encapsulated the B&M beam perfectly. At one point, at the top of golfcoursehill, the headlights of a van sifted through the fog and trees to look much like the scene in Close Encounters when Roy (Richard Dreyfuss) was sitting in his truck on the empty farm road and was "visited" with all the dust and up-lighting. The whole morning ride, enveloped in mist, warmed up by the bizarre mixture of cool temps and cool mist, was a delight.

The afternoon provided the counterpoint. With near perfect weather, it begged for a 30-miler. Instead, I slowly made my way down to the riverfront. I've been secretly working on a "rock" project. There is a random pallet of granite paving stones next to the river. They aren't marked. They've been there for a month now. They have no obvious use anywhere near the pallet; I've checked. Buddhism, and Xristianity for that matter, say to not steal, so I've been quite conflicted on this. The other part of my brain, though, has seen it as a kind of game. Each time I've taken one, and they're heavy, I put it in the extra pannier on the LHT. It makes for a heavy ride home, but I've at least earned my rocks. 'BB', admonishing me all the while, said, "Why don't you just pull your truck up and take them all?". That's not the point though. This is a bike project, although one maybe coming to an end. I got home with 2 today, but it overtaxed the pannier and the bottom mostly ripped out. That's karma my friends. Action and reaction. I saved $$ stealing stones, but now I'm out the $$ for a new pannier. I've thought of calling Metrocall here in the 'Ville to alert someone of their presence. There are only 3 left out of 25+, so someone else is availing themselves as well. And remember, there is no evident project in site.

Maybe my malaise is karma as well. Serves me right.

Comments

Doug said…
We "borrowed" 4 or 5 big rocks from a rock quarry, that doesn't seem to be used anymore, every time we drove by two summers ago. There weren't any "No Trespassing signs". They look great as borders for our new rain garden...but I still don't feel right about it.
Anonymous said…
pammy sue would be horrified.
i wondered how the rock in the
front yard became 2, then 4.
like one of segundo's math homework
problems in 3D.
John S. said…
You need to get an orange vest like people on road crews wear. With one of those babies on and a pick-up truck with the emergency lights flashing, you can have have anything you want. Anything.

Popular Posts