Friday

Date: Oct 10 Fri
Weather: 52F/79F sunny
Mileage: 36
October mileage: 181
Year to date: 2351

After feeling like crap yesterday I feel asleep in the chair upstairs at 9.00. I woke up sometime later and went to bed and didn't wake up until 5.00, thereby getting a full night's sleep. This morning was a struggle. I was up early enough to ride but just wasnt' feeling. I pondered all those folks who commute 100%, every day for months and months. I seem to be a person who can ride 4 days a week but there is always that "except" day. If I didn't ride this morning it would mean 3 days on the bike this week, but I just didn't feel peppy. I showered and picked some clothes out, and at the last minute I threw the bike stuff on. I just did it. I decided to take the Blueridge for a change of pace (3rd bike this week for my ADD self). Once packed and on the road I had an easy, flowing trip to school, albeit the shortest commute that I rarely take.

This afternoon, even with a week of work tiredness, I headed west. Yet again we have 79F and sunny, which is about the most amazing weather possible. This morning I needed wool tights, long-fingered gloves and a jacket, but this afternoon shorts and a T like usual. I took Hill to Northwestern Pkwy, meandered through Portland and into downtown. On Market just west of the 8th street overpass I felt a presence to my right, even though I was in the rightest lane. A gentleman on a motorized scooter was in the bike lane and he asked for my attention. I took out the earbud to find him asking me if he, the scooter, was allowed in the bike lane. He was nice about it, but we were on a busy street and it just struck me as odd for some reason, like I, on the bike, was the rule-giver. I told him I didn't think so, but that I hadn't seen anything of a rule to that. I should've stated that scooters are certainly faster than bikes and probably should remain in the motorized lane. I wasn't in the bike lane, FWIW.

From downtown I fought the incredibly foul smells by the Fisher meatpacking plant- horrible, burning flesh-, and proceeded to Mellwood, Indian Hills and home from there. Every time I go by the Fisher plant I want to become a vegeterian, but I lapse shortly thereafter. Today I rode hard and got my average above 15mph for most of the ride, which I'm proud of. All the signs and lights certainly break your rhythm, although I guess they provide resting time too. In all I did a flat 30m in the afternoon, giving me 36m for the day. Not bad after feeling like crap yesterday.

  • 2 wars- both mired and one in potential danger of serious losses
  • worst economic situation since the Great Depression
  • 25% approval rating
  • totally lost reputation throughout the world
  • energy policy- behind closed doors energy policy- providing most expensive fuel prices in history
Can you imagine anyone other than Thomas Sowell and Charles Krauthammer supporting this stooge? We've lived through the one of the worst presidents ever, one who stole his election in the first place. Perhaps it can get any worse, so it can only get better. That's unless McCain/Palin get the reins. They may be more dangerous.

On that note, happy weekend and peace to all beings, even Bush.

Comments

John S. said…
My wife is vegan and I live close enough to the Swift plant that I can smell it when the wind is right. I should probably want to be a vegetarian because of that, but a good burger is just too tempting sometimes.

And I'm pretty sure that a motorized vehicle is not allowed in a bike lane. Apparently not everyone can deduce that though. I've encountered some white trash guy on the Beargrass Creek greenway/bike path/whatever who rides a moped before and he was far from cordial about having to share the path with me for the second that it took for him to whiz past me. I don't know where he was headed, but I like to assume it was to get somewhere that he could drink shitty beer from a can, which everyone knows should never be delayed.

Popular Posts