Kindred Spirits

I spent some time Saturday reading race reports of the Dirty Kanza 200, a most righteous and ridiculous bike "race" in June in the wilds of Kansas. How else do you deal with a 200m race run almost entirely on farm roads, gravel roads, non-maintained roads and goat paths. Yes, Paris-Roubaix is king, but this looks just ridiculous. I read too many reports to count them all, but a google search yields a variety of results. I can never imagine doing such a thing, but I can certainly romanticize it. Here are a few reports.


"You cannot be SERIOUS?!?!"

On a different, and yet similar note, the pics from Kansas reminded me of those found at the Rough Stuff Fellowship, which I had mentioned in September. Not all the roads are goat paths, but many are. Below is a vacant landscape I imagine some of Kansas to be.







I'm still flummoxed at the reality that backwards KY here has paved over many of our former "textured" roads. It's a first that we're more modern than somebody else.

Comments

Marla said…
I was surprised down here in Tennessee to not find any gravel roads! I was used to them up in Indiana. Sounds like where you're at, everything's paved.

Popular Posts