Orlando revisited

Two tidbits of late have made me see the light on Orlando "Tubby" Smith, coach of most-high-exalted-best-of-all-time UK Wildcats. First Tubby was on my fav sports show PTI last night. Fact is, the guy comes off as a humble, down-to-earth, head-on-straight man. You couldn't find a person to better represent the university. I like just about every one of his answers. Immediately I came away thinking that you cannot fire this guy, no matter what. He has earned the right to prowl the sidelines, and here's hoping he re-rights the ship.

The second is an illustrative blog entry from the H-L's John Clay, one I've alluded to before. It's a very apt comparison of many of the top programs since Tubby has been at UK. No, he hasn't been to as many Final Fours as, say, Michigan State or to as many Elite Eights as Connecticut, but there has been a consistency of performance in the UK program, just not at the last two games. Tubby needs a Final Four and UK Fans would shut up for another 6 or 7 years. I think a title is even unexpected. I've changed my tune. Yes, I'm frustrated with the wins/losses, but UK couldn't come up with another coach who could engender such a long run of excellence.

Comments

Popular Posts