Westward Ho!

Date: Dec 29 Sat
Mileage: 23 (Bleriot)
December mileage: 254
Year to date: 2756
iPod: Plant/Krauss, Bobby Bare Jr., Neil Young

Given my enthusiasm for Thursday's ride, today's was a more subdued mood. I just couldn't get a good groove, but tried to realize my lack of pep and take it for what it was. Today's temps weren't bad, 32F or so, but I must have underdressed b/c I was cold most of the time, especially my legs and hands. I only rode with 1 layer of tights, and on the hands I wore a new pair of gloves I bought at Kohl's last week for $20. They made my hands sweat last week at 42F, but 10 colder today they lasted about an hour and then icicle time. Below are a few pics from the ride, mostly of downtown. I did the normal westward loop towards Shawnee and then worked home via Market and Baxter. Mediocre miles are better than no miles, right?

First time seeing these in the 'Ville although I think I blogged about the press release earlier in '07. Don't know if anyone is using them, but I haven't seen any in use in my occasional forays al centro.



Main Street Facades. It's some kind "most in the U.S. iron ....". That's a curious Daniel Boone sculpture there.


Kentucky Center for the Arts. I did a presentation on it in high school. The front facade glass is supposed to mirror the street's architectural heritage. The roof-line represents a wave, as in a wave from a barge on the Ohio, I guess. The redid a bit of the facade a few years ago, adding green, blue and red squares to the lattice work. I think you can barely see that.


Ghost?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah, I see they put the bikes in front of the Humana building (a building I wrote a report on in high school -- I guess that was a trend back then). How long have they been there? My guess is they'll do better when the weather is pretty -- a warmer-than-usual winter is not going to be nice enough to entice very casual cyclists to use it.

I didn't notice they'd changed the KY Center for the Arts. Was there some reason they did? As you noted, it doesn't seem that different, and I'm sure it cost someone some money...

Good job riding! I went to the gym last night for the first time in a month...
--Laura

Popular Posts