One of those days

I would give Friday and Saturday low scores, but I'll keep my head up. Friday early- 6.00a.m.- became a stressful day when my Afib, something I dealt with in September, came back. I had a brief spell Thursday night and I knew exactly what it was. Friday, work time, it was there again. Instead of going to work like I did the last time, this time I headed straight to the ER. I was there from 7-1.00, when I was then moved upstairs to a room. There they gave me some meds that regulate heart rhythm. Those took a good while to work; it was assumed for a while that I was staying overnight. Eventually I "converted" and had to good fortune of going home around 7.30. Oh, I should mention that the fam and my mom all came about 5.00 after the school day. The good wife would've come earlier in the day, but I didn't want her sitting around any more bored than I already was. Funnily, ironically, around the time they got there the nurse said I was going home that night. They had prepared a nice overnight bag with lots of magazines and a couple books, plus some socks that didn't have huge holes like the ones I was wearing.

I'm now on a twice-a-day med and have to see an "electrical guy" for a follow up. Afib is pretty common in old people, but not so much in a 38 yr-old. Seems like wiring, and not plumbing, is messed up. We'll see. That's life I guess.

And today, Saturday, was a loser all 'round. It opened with our school's girls basketball team losing in the State semifinals to another Louisville team, Butler. Butler seems to have the best player in the state and she dominated today's game. I know the elation and disappointment of a good-but-not-good-enough showing in state tournaments and it's a bittersweet emotion. Congrats to the girls for a good run. A little later the 'Cats lost in Georgia in overtime. Enough said about that misery. And finally Real lost away at Depor. That's 0-3 for me today. Guess I should do something else besides care about sports.

I don't really know what to do about my riding right now. Funnily, I was half thinking of commuting this past Friday- no tennis prac- but, hey!, I was in the hospital instead. I'll probably visit the "electro" doc before doing anything ambitious...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry about the afib. My mom had that -- she takes medications to regulate it. (But she's old, not 38. :-)

I know how it feels -- I have a heart murmur that is relatively uncommon, and so other docs I see always want to know how I ended up with it. (It can be brought on by things like rheumatic fever and a serious chest trauma, but I've had neither of those.) It's irritating to see the startle reaction in docs when I tell them about it.

On the plus side, what you have is treatable and should not have a deleterious effect on your life, at least once you start seeing a cardio doc regularly to monitor it.

Hope your weekend improves. My bro is here visiting for the weekend, much to my son's utter delight. (We're all happy to see him, but he's a great playmate to my son.) Don't feel guilty about not riding -- you have an excellent reason to wait a bit. And the weather will be even better by then!
--Laura
Doug said…
Wow, that's got to be scary...and frustrating! I sure hope the electro doc can help you out!
LvilleTex said…
If you see this tell Jason/Gavrick we say "hello"
Anonymous said…
He's already back home, but I'll e-mail him your howdy. It looks as if we'll be in L'ville from about July 6 to 19 -- you guys going to be heading west (young man) or still around?
--Laura

Popular Posts