Am I a cyclist?

Date: April 13 Sunat
Mileage: 18 (LHT)
April mileage: 18
Year to date: 460

Wow! A little shocking! I entered the mileage from today's ride into my Excel program and found that I had done 1 11-mile ride in March and this was the first in April. The March ride was an epic- albeit short- one in a near Blizzard. Thusly, today's ride was the first standard road ride or commute since February. In looking at some previous entries I found that the recurrence of the Afib happened in early March, so since then it's been various shades of disorder, doctors, and a fair amount of tennis responsibility. To honor today's Paris-Roubaix, I took on the elements here at home, 40F and raining, choosing the LHT for its fenders and existing dirt. Having not ridden in forever, I took things very slowly and casually. I even walked one time up a not-so-big hill; I just felt the need to. Really they were somewhat bizarre conditions to take a ride in after experiencing 60s and 70s in Hilton Head. Oh, I went there last week on a tennis trip. Why? Well, we have a good team and I'm trying to give it the ol' college effort. I can't help, though, wanting more free time for my own health and well-being.

Today's ride was nice, though. I took in St. Matthews and the parks. I almost ventured towards the river but found I lacked the energy. I'm experiencing a little dizziness, which is listed as a side-effect on my med. Is there a correlation? Don't know. I also have to have a follow-up for potential sleep apnea. The first consult is Wednesday. Apparently (I'm asleep, of course) I snore and with my "chunky" body type I'm a candidate. I just figured you slept less well with age. Now I'm off the wine and caffeine, so the sleep apnea and ensuing oxygen loss may be the next culprit for the Afib. Who knows, but life is going one. I ain't done yet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good to hear from you! I just wrote to your good wife tonight and wondered how you were doing.

Keep track of any symptoms, follow through on these appointments, and don't worry so much about fitting cycling into your already-busy spring. You'll do it when you can and do more of it this summer...
--Laura
Doug said…
Thanks for the update. It's good you got in a ride today.

My wife turns forty this summer. (I'll be 45) She went in for a physical on Wednesday. She had a whole list of new ailments to discuss with her doctor. Like me, she has some really nasty family history. Heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure. I told her, "Welcome to your 40's, expect to see your doctor a lot more in the future!"

And yes you are a cyclist. Just a few setbacks to get through (and tennis season)and you'll be back at it.

Popular Posts