Ouch!

Date: June 18 Wed
Mileage: 21 (C'Check)
June mileage: 295
Year to date: 893

Went on a morning ride with 'BB', the first of the summer. She had some stuff to do, so we were out at 7a.m. Ugghh, that's early when you don't want to be up that early. It was surprisingly chilly this morning, I would say around 60F. After temps in the 90s not long ago, I was cold, having no gloves or sleeves. I should've grabbed the arm warmers, but I was rushed. 'BB' and I had an uneventful ride, doing the Indian Hills loop. She had been up for a good while with heartburn so we went pretty slow, uncomfortably so at times. Just 2 weeks ago, though, she did local MS ride and did 80 the 1st day and 50 the 2nd. That's better than any mileage I've pulled off, so hats off to her for a great accomplishment.

My ride turned very eventful after I dropped her off. I was close to home when BAM!, out of nowhere I felt that dreadful buzz in my helmet. A flying beast entered the vent and stung me on the head. I had been first stung several summers ago (I have no clue if I had the blog or not) the same exact way, but I subsequently went to the emergency care center for some big-time anti-inflammatories and other stuff. It was a potentially dangerous situation b/c my breathing was compromised. This time, today, I was fortunately quite close to home. I put it in a very low gear and crawled the remainder. Last time I kept pushing hard home and wondered whether the extra work rate spread the poison/venom through the system more than normal. Once home, I dug out my epi-pen. This is the first time using it. A lesson learned. Imagine if I had been out in the boondocks with no access to it. That might be the end of a nice summer...

Be wise. Be prepared.

Comments

Apertome said…
Scary stuff ... I'm glad you're OK. When I was a kid, my dad and I were on a bike ride and he got stung and went into anaphylactic shock. Couldn't breathe. They gave him one of those epipen things after that. So I know how freaky that can be, even if only from an observer's perspective.
Anonymous said…
Glad you were fine. We've learned how to administer epi-pens to kids at school (usually with severe nut allergies). They're important to have around...

--Laura

Popular Posts