Kwik Komute

Date: September 23 Tues
Weather: 90F
Mileage: 24
September mileage: 286
Year to date: 2053

After yesterday's icky ride I was hoping for a peppier commute today. Although I woke up a bit earlier than I would like, I nonetheless got going pretty easily. Something I did recently was get the Blueride ready for more multi-tasking duties, including commuting. With a few of these bikes I'm ready to either ride them or sell them, even for a substantial loss. On the Blueridge now i have silver fenders, an older B-17 with some sag in it, Panaracer 32s and the Carradice Longflap. I also have a Serfas front flashie and rear Krog. I'm pissed at myself that I just bought a new Planet Bike flashie, but I've already misplaced it. Dang!

I did some extra miles this afternoon on the Blueridge to help give myself a better feel for the bike after so many rides on the LHT or CC. The BR has a more slung over roadie feel- long and low stem, very rear saddle position, clips instead of platforms and cork tape. I'm not too comfy on it anymore after riding the upright Bleriot (or LHT), but the other insight is that it feels fast, much faster than the LHT at least. I know that on the LHT if I'm cruising at 15mph I'm working pretty hard. On the BR today I did a solid 10m at 16-18mph, which is plainly faster than I'm used to riding. I did peter out after a while, especially after climbing MockingbirdValley/GreenHillLn. From there I came home pretty reasonably and finished with a mid-14mph avg, which I don't think it too bad considering stop signs and such. I wonder what the result would be with a slightly shorter and angled stem? That said, I've spent too much on bike crap lately and intend on only waiting for bday/xmas bike bag possibilities. It was fun to be on a "fast" bike for a change, but my left ankle felt like crap and I wouldn't make the BR my permanent. If I sold it, I don't think I would miss it.

Comments

Popular Posts