Pre-Turkey

Date: Nov 21 Wed
Mileage: 30 (Blueridge)
November mileage: 308
Year to date: 2356

It was important to get out today and clear some calorie space for the Turkey Fest tomorrow. I don't know how festive it's going to be; little L came down with a stomach thing much like he had 2-3 weeks ago. If it doesn't hit us all we'll be fortunate and thankful for not catching it. Or it could get worse.

We were off from work today, so I took a road ride on the Blueridge, quite a departure from so many miles on the Bleriot or moreso the LHT. The Blueridge, purchased I believe in '99, was to be a do-it-all bike for me, one I could ride centuries, tour and commute on. Litespeed hadn't too much experience with non-racing bike geometry, because even now I feel like I'm flying, with my hands very far in front of me all super-stretched out. And this is on their "touring" model, mind you. I know I could swap stems out and go for the more upright RBW position, but that's what the Bleriot is for. If I had to take 10 rides, I would pick the Bleriot for 9 of them, with the 1 being a ride such as today. I took a brisk training ride, not something I do too often, going fast for the sake of going fast. In Seneca/Cherokee I managed to hit 7 hills pretty hard and occasionally pushed it on the flats as well. In the first hour I averaged 16.5mph and finished at 15.5 after I back off some. For lots of cyclists these numbers aren't impressive, but for my big, slow commuting ass, they're great. My legs feel it right now. I'll be taking a long ride in the country Saturday, one with lots of Maysville hills. The logical choice would be the much lighter Blueridge, but no way. The Bleriot will definitely be the one I'm riding.

And I received a small shipment from Hiawatha today. I had to address the burned-out bulb on the LHT, so I received 2 bulbs and a new Topeak frame pump for the Bleriot/LHT to boot. I won't ride the LHT this weekend probably, but I'll be ready for next week's commutes.

Comments

Popular Posts