Pinche NPR

Date: Jan 28 Mon
Mileage: 25 (Trek)
January mileage: 269
Year to date: 269

Damn I'm tired. I don't know if it's rest, exertion, diet, Monday or what, but in the course of building some nice base miles on a mild day today I ran out of gas on the commute home. While I can't say it was ever grave or even the least bit epic, By the time I reached Portland I was done and would've been glad to grab the bus home. I didn't and suffered through tired legs the last 8 miles, crawling into the driveway as the family was leaving for b'ball. I certainly didn't mean to get home so late. I'm bitching and complaining while others are preparing for 100-mile winter epics, but, Hey, we all proceed from our own individual place. Good for them and good for me for toughing out a longish commute today.

  • My afternoon ride took me through some of the West End's nicest and poorest portions. I think I've had a subconscious macho "I'm a white guy riding in the black West End" kind of vibe about me. I'm usually not too worried, but a few streets I went down today were pretty damn rough. I also went down a few streets near Chickasaw Pk that were delightful and would've fit in in the Highlands, the "progressive" area in which we live now.
  • afternoon temp was 48F with a bit of wind. Pretty nice for this time of year. Even with that, I got cold before the end. I used the thin wool today and it might've been not quite enough, although not far, for the wind.
  • Yet again NPR burns me this morning. Better said it was WFPL, our local NPR news outlet. He reported a temp of 35F. The first time I descended down into Cherokee Pk and my beard moisture froze (from the shower), I knew it was a good bit colder. At work it was 27F. That's a big difference. Proves I've acclimated a bit. I rode in 27F with 1 pair of tights, a lighter jacket with 2 thin layers and nothing fancy of my feet save wool socks and Targhees.
  • I'm changing to pedals on the Trek. They're flat pedals I stole off of some bike, but I hate them. They're flat, but given the contours they're 1-sided, which I think is utterly useless. I'm installing the MKS touring pedals that were on the Bleriot.
  • I think I need to raise the Trek saddle just a bit. My left ankle got tired from being at more of an angle than usual with my other saddle positions.
  • I have entertained thoughts- maybe serious ones- of making the Trek into a single speed. My hard ride home this afternoon made me rethink this position. Those extra few gears sure were nice in times of need.
  • Finally, the forecast is for lots and lots of rain tomorrow, so we'll see. The next step in my commuting is the willingness to ride to work in the rain, something I've rarely done. I know Wednesday I have lots of goofy after-work meetings, so if I ride then it will be one of my most committed days.
Vamos a ver, but I'm happy I dug through some of those extra miles today.

Comments

Popular Posts