70ish+40

Dave joined me for a 70-miler Sunday morning, early, very early. I had to get home for various family things in the afternoon (I didn't tell him but I had to watch Spain win the World Cup, and I did watch it with the family), so we agreed to set sail at 6.30. I was in the garage finalizing things when Dave's Dinotte rolled up. Great, right on time. After a bit of discussion, he informed me that he had ridden over, having left the house at 4.30. Yes!! Dave's going for it!! Our course was a mixture of SW Jeff roads and included 2.5 challenging climbs- Iroquois Hill which is actually quite easy, Weavers Run and Martin's Hill- as well as a couple store stops as needed. We saw a few roadies rolling in Iroquois Park, ones we later saw in a grupetto on Bearcamp. Dave seemed strong so we rode a peppy pace for the first 30 or so, until a stop when Dave needed to refuel. I hung strong until the return leg on Mt.Elmira, when suddenly I ran out of gas. It seems that the heat of this summer (above 90F for the last half of the ride) is getting to me. We stopped in Fairdale for more refueling and a serenade of rap lyrics from a fine-looking car full of young men, and then headed back towards Iroquois and home. Once back, Dave turned around and went home, giving him 116m on the day. Way to go! And the 70 turned into 74m with a few extra legs, giving me my longest ride of the year too.

Bleriot with less sag. You may not be able to see, but I tied the 2 closer D-rings of the Big Loafer to the saddlebag loops, giving the bag less sag. Saddle tilt is a bit better too. And so much for metal water bottles. The insulated ones are SO much better in this heat!


Dave inside Iroquois hilltop pavilion.


Iroquois Park prairie, with Mexican hat (Ratibida). Love it!


Iroquois Hilltop in early morning sun with Queen Anne's lace (Daucus Carota) and Little Bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium). Love it!


Knobcreek Rd., on a wrong turn from Barrallton Hill Rd. Dave's photo-ing tobacco+LHT at this point.

Comments

Apertome said…
Congrats on your longest ride of the year. It must've been a beautiful ride, both of you got some stunning photos.

Sorry to hear about the heat. No fun! My ride Saturday was in the mid to upper 80s, but it got to me more than I expected.
amidnightrider said…
Your priorities were in order.

Popular Posts