Alas

Yesterday (Sun.), FatGuy worked out a reciprocal route from Saturday's ride, a 35-miler in the morning so as to keep my family schedule more open. I was pretty pumped to get good mileage on consecutive days, and the roads around Dave's house are fun and lumpy, quite different from the flat-fest we took in Saturday. Long story short, we were have a good time, working hard, competing on some hills, and sweating profusely even into the 8th mile. Then? PING!! I know you biker types out there know what that is. Both he and I took turns working spokes to try to finish the ride, but it didn't sound good at all, so we turned and headed home, a 35er turning into a 14er. Bummer.

I sat around despondent and cranky the rest of the day until we went down to the Waterfront for the free 4th-of-July concert and fireworks. We caught the end of the Bettye Lavette show, then a show from a reunited Arrested Development, and finally the headliner, Michael Franti and Spearhead. The positive, hippy love vibe was perfect for a July4th concert. The Franti showed ended with a gaggle of kids onstage helping with, "Say I love you", all while the fireworks started behind the stage over the river. Nice moment, for sure. On a bike note, I got a text from Dave that he was over in the 'Ville, on the bike, and ended up joining us down at the river for the concert. He had felt restless from the truncated ride, so he got off his ass and prolly got another 40+ miles in!

Franti sang part of a song on top of a box not 5ft from our chairs. It was fun, I'll have to say!


Comments

Popular Posts