Tale of 2 Hills

I've been undermotivated for massive riding. I blame only myself, but also the house seems to be busy in that not-busy way, meaning pool, aqua-camps, work schedule (not mine), broken phones, socializing. I don't know? I should just shut up and ride.

Tonight the fam met our amigos at the local pizzeria, so I jumped on the Ute for a few quickie miles. Instead of going straight up B'town, I angled through Seneca where I met hill #1. I had been passed right beforehand by a dude riding an older, early carbon road bike. Somehow, I caught him. That's bad, my friends, bad that I can catch you on a hill on the Ute. We chatted up the benefits of the Ute as an urban warrior steed. He seemed very interested and it was a really nice 2-3min of mutual bike time. After our meal, I jumped from the pizzeria to another pizzeria, only this time instead of pizza it was liquid libational carbos (beer, right?) with a friend/former student. We had a long talk about the state of the medical industry, as well as the benefits of rich friends buying drinks in college. On the way home I was passed at a light by a macho young dude on a mtbike. He made good progress up B'town and turned off, as I do, on Dundee. I decided to follow for kicks. While at one time he was far ahead, on the hill on Dundee I closed the gap a bit- hill #2- until he turned off on Lowell. I saw him again on Strathmoor but turned towards home. 2 fun hills, ridden energetically for no particular reason save pride and spunk. Tomorrow, post-Brazil/Nederlands, a bike ride will ensue, or at least a longer bike ride will ensue.

Comments

Pondero said…
I appreciate the tension between family and gobs of time on the bike. People who get this are whole, balanced, and live life fully. Otherwise, it seems there is great potential (not a guarantee) that one can be one-dimensional, off-balance, and shallow.

Congrats on the recent hill climbs that helped keep the balance...a balance.
Apertome said…
Excellent. You've still got it, my friend, looking forward to a longer ride report.

Popular Posts