Waverly

No photos, but Dave and I have an excellent time (at least I did) on a short ride at Waverly this morning. I hadn't been out there for a couple years but it's Fall and there is no better time to hit the trails. I've also been somewhat incommunicado about Fall plans, but one of the dates is a day trip next weekend to Bloomington to Brown Country Park to ride with Apertome and Dave G, and today's effort was intended to prep for that a bit. Best as I can tell, I hadn't been to Waverly since November, 2008 and much has changed. KYMBA had already done trail work out there, but the modern trails differ substantially. The old ones were more verticle- up hard and down straight- making for a trying and tiring time. The new trails have an amazing amount of "flow". Dave and I only had time to do the front trail, "Fresh Air", and the back trail, "Twisty" somethingorother. My chain broke on the second trail, but fortunately and funnily enough we found the trail end about 100ft up the trail. Dave used the MonocogSS and did a great job plowing through things with partial slicks, no front suspension and only one gear. We had to suck wind occasionally at the tops of climbs, but what they've done at the modern Waverly is reward any climbing with *amazing* swoopy, flowy descents, most including berms, jumps, bridges and turns to carve. My skills aren't particularly good, but both on the front and back trails at times I let loose and got some speed going and began to "carve" a bit. FUN! The bike is in the shop now for a chain, some front fork air and a little love, and I'll be really ready for next weekend. I'm hoping very much that we have weather like today. Perfect. FUN!


 

Comments

Pondero said…
That's the kind of variety to keep things interesting. You are an excellent example of multi-purpose cycling.
Apertome said…
Sounds awesome. BCSP = 25-30 miles of that kind of stuff. It's going to be great.
Darin said…
There is a whole new section of trail that is ride-able also even though it still needs some finish work. If you're at the top across from the radio tower, stay left and you'll hit it. It's more of the awesome flowy goodness.
LvilleTex said…
@Darin, thanks for the info. That's some crazy goodness and KYMBA deserves a lot of credit for its efforts.

Popular Posts