el Culo Kicking

Date: Nov 22
Mileage: 36 (16.2avg)
Ride type: Road
Bike: Blueridge
Temp: 40ish++
November mileage: 279
Year to date: 2093

wow, what an ass-kicking this morning!!! being off from work for the holiday, i decided to hook up with the club for scheduled ride this a.m. it left from Iroquois Pk, an old 'hunting ground', which pleased me, and the Wed. morning crew is known for being much more slow-n-steady than the track meets that so many other club rides are. it's been quite a while since my last club ride, so i was a bit nervous at holding a line in the group, given that almost ALL my miles are solo unless i'm goofing with 'lance' or 'sheryl'.

well, the end result was that it was the fastest ride i've taken in a while, maybe a long while. i had all kinds of mini-issues today, none of which downgraded my enjoyment of such a hard ride.

#1 i dress too warmly. it was 39 this a.m. leaving the house. during a dark morning commute, that temp isn't going to change in the 30-40 minutes my commute takes. today, by the end it was close if not 50 degrees. my hands were soaked. my head was hot. my body was hot, and amanzingly enough was feet were warm. poor planning, but really more out-of-practice for such a thing.

#2 although the avg was 16.2, the pace was definitely above that most of the day. it had that push-pull, 22mph-13mph kind of yo-yo all day. i haven't put in an 18mph day in a long time. i made it through, but i sucked LOTS of wheels.

#3 i actually had 30 miles in me with the group, but i lost pace and the wheel with about 5m left. it was a little rise and i just didn't have the climb in me. i almost caught back on again a short while later coming over the Snyder, but lost that one too. i really poked in the last 2-3miles. that probably brought the avg down some. perhaps it was closer to 17 until late in the game.

really, though, i enjoyed myself. the riders there were social enough. one had a Milauwakee Bicycle Co. 'orange one', a nice Orange single/fixed gear bike. good looking. (shop link not working). a great workout but my big fat butt is tired. tomorrow a.m. before the "troughing" will be an hour or two or really slow steady riding to give the legs a break. i WILL go out though.

Comments

Popular Posts