Cold Commute

Date: Jan 30 Tues
Mileage: 12 (LHT)
January mileage: 273
Year to date: 273

My commute entries are getting sort of boring. Fact is, it's sort of cold, sort of dark, and I'm mostly going A-->B and back, with nary a long loop or adventure to find. Today was fun in that it was 33 or so in the a.m., and by the p.m. the clipper had arrived making it 25F with a nasty easterly (westerly, blowing from the west?) wind making the wind chill at or below 0F. I was well dressed, as follows:

top- thin smartwool, thick smartwool, performance gore-tex jacket. excellent job there.
bottom- smart wool tight, cotton sweatpants, base layer pad-less lycra short. no probs
feet- thick wool, plastic bag, thick wool, sandals. yes, the sandals @ 25F worked fine.
hands- wool gloves, goretex mittens from days gone past
head- Descente skull cap. i couldn't find my thin balaclava, so I went with this. i would say this was the weak link, in the i felt some cold stuff on my neck

I came home asap, as the legs didn't want to do 20m this p.m. in the cold. Doug is very demure and humble, but there is NO way I could pull off 50m in this cold, much less 135m. Tomorrow is supposedly reasonable, and they're finally calling for some snow Thursday, or it could change to rain. BLAH! (I tried to make that as "barf" a color as possible. We all want snow at this point after at least 1 winter without real snow).

If there is stuff on the ground, I'll probably go with the SS Monocog, as its knobbies could be beneficial. And the RBW order comes then too.

Comments

Popular Posts