Coldish Commute

Date: Jan 29 Mon
Mileage: 17.5 (LHT)
January mileage: 261.5
Year to date: 261.5

After a lost weekend of Ick and Sloth, I got out for a coldish commute today. I had been wanting to start my day with some morning meditation or walking meditation, so I set the clock for 5.00. Funnily enough, the body woke up at 4.59 and away I went. I didn't get around to the meditation, but I did get ready in plenty of time for early start, taking the Cherokee route in to school. As ever, I like to give a state-of-being on golf course hill. Today: tired. I actually got off and walked on the flat part at the top of the hill. The morning temps were 15F with some breeze- but no real wind- and I was just needing to warm up. I got to work and for a change got some things done. The afternoon was warmer, with some sun and temps around 30F, with a heavier breeze from the SW. It made for speed down Logan St. at around 15mph. After crawling my way around in the a.m. at 10-12mph, any extra speed feels like a Tour time-trial. Crossing Broadway I saw a biker dude waiting at the light going east. He had a regular road bike as best as I could tell, with a messenger bag slung over. I know he would like panniers better, but maybe he's not so damn slow as I am. I took Mellwood to the Beargrass Trail, headed through Cherokee again up to Alta Vista with its fine homes, and then threaded my way home from there. It's too bad I couldn't get 20m in, but I'll live. I'm relatively close to last January's mileage, and I think it's an admirable goal to supersede each of last year's months' mileage (is that permissible grammar?). I need a solid couple rides left to do that. I'm tempted to switch to another bike for a longer ride, but now that I'm settled with the Serfas, I like the security of monster rubber on the road when it's below 20F in the a.m. Safety is much better than Speed at that point.

Comments

Popular Posts