Stuck

I woke up this a.m. prepared and ready to go back to work. Although I don't feel what I would call "peppy", it's time to get the heck out of the house. That said, at about 6.15 or so, when I'm getting dressed and going forward, poor Z it up, barfing in the big red bowl and heading for the lavatory. Usually this wouldn't be reason for my presence b/c the good wife could stay home with him, but this a.m. she has her yearly check-up, one of those that has to be scheduled 12 years in advance and with a signature in blood. So, at home I am again, at least for the time being. Morning activities while stuck include:
  • cleaning up puke
  • continually rinsing out puke bowl.
  • disinfecting toilet, sink and TV remote controls
  • choosing movie for grumpy, ill 11 yr-old
  • loading various Radiohead albums (discs, as it were) in to iTunes
  • doing laundry
And finally, I've been checking up on Doug at the Arrowhead. Incredibly, after a mild winter up there in near-Canada, they've been hit this week with an incredible forecast, one that is resonating here in the 'Ville with temps never rising above freezing. I lifted this table, without graphics, showing the crazy, crazy temps the riders have faced in the run-up.

High6°F12°F2°F-1°F-13°F-10°F-6°F
Low-13°F-7°F-15°F-17°F-26°F-30°F-30°F
DateTue
30
Wed
31
Thu
1
Fri
2
Sat
3
Sun
4
Mon
5

They left yesterday the 5th with temps at a low of -30F. In-freakin-credible. Today's racing temp, the 2nd leg mind you, of racing, -25F. In reading the race blog, what struck me was the "wolves sighted" comment. I think to my bitching about a dog or two nipping at my heels. I then think about hungry-ass wolves in the friggin' woods in the dead of winter. Shit! SHIT! Doug isn't mentioned as having gone through or as officially having dropped out. He's a "competitor in the woods". Most of my readers- all 2 or 3 of them- are already following him, but let's keep our thoughts, prayers, and energies towards his efforts and towards his safe finish, whatever that may entail.

Comments

Popular Posts