Thoughts

  • Haven't written an entry since last Tuesday. That day was the tail-end of my and then Z's Ick. Given that I haven't written since then, I also haven't ridden since then either. I'm not feeling willfully strong. I don't want to put on the 3 or so layers to go out in the sub-30s. yes, my brethren in other places still are; they're obviously more man/woman than I. I do intend to ride M/T/W. Let's hope.
  • Cats almost pulled one off last night, but 3-22 3-pt. shooting did them in. Really, they played equally or better than the #1 Gators, but still didn't win. At home, crazy crowd, more rebounds, even on fouls, even on free throws, Noah and Horford in foul trouble. Everything was in line for an upset, but it still didn't happen. The tides have turned on Tubby (not intentional, but awfully good alliteration there). The 'Cats had beaten them 6 in a row, but now we're 0-5 vs. the Gators. The last team to beat UK 5 in a row was the '70s Tennessee team of Bernard King and Ernie Gruenfeld (sp?). Can you imagine them going down to Gainesville and doing it this year when every aligned last night? UF is the program on the up- last year's championship included, and UK is the one of the down- no Finals Fours in the longest stretch ever, EVER, for UK basketball.
  • I got a good Buddhist mojo going there before I got sick. It's challenging, I found, to consider the impermanence of it all when you're under 3 layers of blankets with a nasty fever and chill. Consistency, the story of my non-life.
  • I'm impressed by Mark Wahlberg. Here's a guy who has become a solid craftsperson while coming up from the bottom-feeders of society. I haven't really seen many of his movies, but he impresses me with his professionalism and candor. He said something very Buddhist, and perhaps Christian, on Inside the Actor's Studio. He stated that he wanted to do more and get more and become more not for his own sake, but rather so he could give more back to his rough-n-tumble community. And he does. Impressive, to me at least. And rare out of that entertainment world. No, rare out of the world of acquisition.
  • I've been hesitantly vegetarian of late. It's really not that bad, but I also realize how much mean, especially little chunks of processed dead animal in pre-prepared food and restaurant food, there is out there. I can't imagine being vegan. What do you eat in winter if you don't can and freeze mega food? Like booze, I won't ever go cold turkey, nor do I really want to, but on a logical and physical level it is of benefit, and a path worth venturing down.
Out

Comments

Doug said…
I ate a vegetarian diet for 11.5 years. Four of those years I was a strict vegan.It's a discipline and it takes practice. What helped me most was if I concentrated on enjoying the food in front of me rather then thinkimg about all the foods I couldn't eat. It worked for me.
LvilleTex said…
Always in the moment, as it were. Good advice there. Thanks Doug.
Tuco said…
Hey dude, just saw that you were playing with the veggie diet, that's great.
It is hard to be really strict. I call myself a vegan/vegetarian because although I try to be a vegan, every time I turn around it seems some other product I thought was safe for me somehow had an animal background (did you know that most beer is filtered through fish bones!)

Anyway, good luck!

Popular Posts