Bernheim

A spectacular extension to an already great day. This morning's ride was sublime, but pleasant. This afternoon's visit with the family to Bernheim Forest was inspiring. I don't know if I've described it here, but BF is a local treasure, an Arboretum, nature center, preserved forest and all-round wonderful outdoor oasis about 25 miles south of the 'Ville. It's my wife's favorite place to visit and hike, being close enough to not be a "trip", but distant enough to take in Kentucky nature at its finest. With such glorious weather (70F, sun and perfect skies), we decided to do a brief hiking trip to loosen up winter legs. We especially needed a respite from the ugly drama that had limited our enjoyment of the early afternoon. It's what we deserve for being in on such a nice day.

Once there, the first amusement came from running into a pack of 10+ students from my school, all of them out for a full day's hiking. One had sprained an ankle, so their day was coming to a close. That was humorous enough we suddenly I ran into my aunt doing the same thing with my 3 cousins (ages 15 and 12, approx.) They had never been to Berheim before, even though it lies perhaps 15 miles from them, being in the southern portion of the county.

We sorted out our plan, choosing a trail we hadn't been on, the Guerrilla Hollow Trail. This one was short enough for us to exit, since the back portion of the Forest was closing @ 5.30. Following are some images of that trail:

Aunt Pam holding a little snake. We find him right on the trail. I'm surprised the boys didn't actually step on him. He was cold to the touch and I guess just leaving his winter slumber.

This is the just the best tree. Even my crappy pic technique can't mess this one up.


Z (in white) and a friend up the trail, with cousin Andrew in Red.


The good wife saw this one first. Another beautiful found natural wonder, the rhythm of these three tree "holes" (do they have a name?).

I did the best I could trying to find the contrast of the low sun splashing against the landscape. I like the line on the front tree with the swale below.

We, being Aunt Pam, her boys, and well, us, We then ventured over to the lake for a walk around it, all taking in the setting sun reflecting off the water. I particularly like their efforts to rebuild a natural prairie meadow on the northern side. These were once very common in KY, but most have been tilled under. I have a thing for grasses and meadows. When I win the lottery I'm buying land and having one. That's clinging though, so my Buddhist-ish side makes me consider that statement. Here are pics from that portion:

Obelisk. Why not?


This is much better live. I think the camera focused on the iron weed in front. Behind in the centerish is a gleaming silver water tower from the Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont, Ky. Slightly right/center is a nature/garden house pagoda thing, but you can't really see it. Just below the iron weed is one part of the rejuvenated prairie.

Best shot of the day, aside the two trees. Can't really do much better. Geese. The setting sun with double images on the lake. The lake.



Another off the lake. I have more, but these are great.


A great, great, great Day, even with the unmentionable of the mid-afternoon.


Comments

Popular Posts