Cosa

It's really cold. No, it's not cold like Doug's cold, but it's cold. On Wednesday, I believe, it was 84F in the 'Ville and last night it was in the low 20's. The freeze has affected the plants, but I'm too lazy to bust out and cover everything. In a way, I'd rather nature takes its course. If they were crops that my family had to eat, I might think differently.

It's Spring Break (yea, right, at 33F- Fucking Bullshit). My plan is do sneak some miles in. Last year all I did was garden, but not this year. The yard's in stasis, and the only decision is whether to bomb the yard with weed-killing chemicals. My heart says no, my eyes say yes.

The good wife brought home a Tricycle, a Buddhist magazine. I'm still haunted by the "bed stand Buddhist" comment, but I'm the only one that can clear the mind of that. This issue challenges the reader to create a 28-day retreat, even for those who can't fly off to some groovy joint in NoCal. It encourages to start with the 5 Precepts: Do not take another life, Do not take what is not given, Do not consume intoxicants, Do not use harmful speech, Do not commit sexual misconduct. These can be translated in a variety of ways. The most difficult on face value is the one of harmful speech, b/c our days are full of idle gossip and "white" lies. The second most is the intoxicant one. I like wine and am thinking of having some tonight. I wish, in a way, that I could buy 1-serving bottles of wine like those of beer. Having 1 beer won't hasten my decent into suffering. Drinking a whole bottle of wine can sometimes cause me to be stupid, and even feel like shit in the a.m. But a glass is nice and not terribly problematic.

I found a bizarre link today to a text-message article about Jonathon Vaughters and Frankie Andreau from a while ago. It sure seems to call the Postie/Disco/Lance/Johan empire a bunch of cheats. I guess I'm surprised I didn't read more about in more substantial sources like cyclingnews.com. ??

Tomorrow a.m. a good sit and early-ass walk before churchie stuff. That's me. I'll be-a hearing about the dead dude who came back and stuff. I don't mean to be an ass. I'll go and be supportive, but I don't buy the mythology.

Comments

Doug said…
The bizzro link is interesting. Doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is how many fans they have duped into believing Lance and disco were clean.
LvilleTex said…
People want heroes, right? They want something that is "better" or "inspiring" to help inspire themselves. I don't think skinny Euro guys with 2% body fat are inspiring, but I sympathize with Cancer victims and survivors that any glimmer is an important one. In some ways, I'll always give Lance a free pass b/c he IS bigger than the race or the sport or even his potential dopage. As for them all, they-meaning professional sportsmen- all ride that edge. What's the difference between living in a sealed tent, taking 50 pills and "supplements" a day and a little blood boost? To me, not much. More fun just to ride and be outside.
Doug said…
No free pass from me. There are many who say one direct consequence of steroid use, or hormone therapies, is testicular cancer.
rigtenzin said…
I used to meditate, which isn't really relevant to your post, but your post reminded me that I occasionally think about meditating again. Why don't I? I'll have to think about that.
amidnightrider said…
I don't have a problem with pro athletes juicing up. If Floyd had Lance's doctor he would be champ right now. I also thing we all know that if you don't juice up, you don't play Baseball or Football. You will never be able to keep up.


I though wine was packaged in one serving bottles? hmmmmm.

The variety of rules different religions impose on their believers is one of the reasons I subscribe to none.
LvilleTex said…
Thanks "Midnight Rider" for a good morning chuckle. "I thought wine was packaged in one serving bottles? hmmmmm." Good Stuff there.

And concerning religious limitations, like all things the Middle Path is the way. That all things in appropriate non-fussy moderation, wine intake and Buddhist philosophy included. Well, except miles right? They should be taken in vast quantities.
Anonymous said…
I am not a religious person and I don't make a habit of searching out religious thinkers. But, I still run into them on occasion. When I do, I tend to avoid those ideas which feel like rules and work to adopt those that feel like good ideas. I don't expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of which are the good ideas.
LvilleTex said…
seem logical and appropriate andy b. you have to find the happy medium which brings you some sense of balance. at least in my case, at this point in my life, i'm wanting a bit more balance, but do not intend to shave my head and start wearing robes any, any time soon. :-)
Anonymous said…
I have shaved my head a few times, but just for shits and giggles. The only time I wear a robe is when I get out of the shower. Occasionally, I wear a robe till noon on Saturdays.

Popular Posts