The 9th

One of the things I did today on the ride was think about Beethoven's 9th Symphony "Ode to Joy". We, meaning my college choir, my wife, my good friends and I all sang it as part of a large-choir performance at Avery Fischer Hall in NY, NY during our sophomore year. To sing that piece in that city was rather a highlight, and since then it has remained my most favorite selection of music. I can't name a fav book, CD, group, show, movie, etc., but every single time I hear or listen to the "9th" it stirs me, every time.

I was thinking today how I would present it- the 9th- to my students next year in Humanities. How do you convey the emotion, the reaction, the pure joy that it produces, the grandiosity? Many of them may just hear lots of shouting and crescendos, so how do you transmit the greater messages and meanings? I want them to leave not just appreciating but soaking it in.

In keeping with the synchronicity of earlier doings (the OtR concert venue), I happened upon one of the many blogs I occasionally visit, this time at Integral Options Cafe, which has provided me food for mental and Buddhist thought herenthere. This time he presented me, us, with a link to a Karajan YouTube 9th of all things, a '60s video recording of the symphony. I own 3 or 5 versions of the 9th, mostly b/c I like to compare tempi, soloists and interpretations. Although the tenor in this isn't quite up to the task, I found myself watching the whole 4th movement all the while wanting to go to bed but unable to detach me from the experience. Another of Karajan's, a London release, is the best of the variations I have.

I did search around for some good articles or analysis, but nah!, I'm ready for bed. I do encourage you to go listen or find a copy. It embodies the human spirit in all its Darkness and Light. Beethoven was deaf by the time he composed it, but he was stirred and inspired, as am I when I listen to it.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, lots of my fellow sopranos complain about it because it's kind of a screamer by the end (high and loud), but I adore it. I get goosebumps every time we sing it. And we get to sing it again this summer with the Philadelphia Orchestra in Saratoga on August 1st (again with Charles Dutoit). It is truly an amazing piece. As you know, the BEST way to experience it is to actually perform it, but there are some excellent recordings that get at the spirit of it well. (I like my Bernstein in Berlin version, performed after the Wall came down, not only because of the music but also because I was in Berlin a few weeks after the wall came down...) And it's amazing to think he was deaf when he wrote it!
--Laura
LvilleTex said…
As stated, the Karajan/DeutscheGramaphon version has the best tenor, so I tend to fixate on that. Always good in any recording. They did a big choir version here in the 'Ville not too long ago, but I didn't sing.

Popular Posts