Goings on at le Tour

As much as I complain about el dopaje and Phloyd Phraud and the like, I watched every bit on the last 1.5hr of today's last Alpine stage, and a thrilling stage it was. Disco, in the form of Popo and Gusev, put men in the early break. Levi stayed tough with the big boys and Contador climbed even better than on Sunday. It's too bad the 2 Discos- Pop and Contador- couldn't catch stagewinner Soler on the descent of the Galibier. Instead, we had a battle royal on the 1k minislope in Braincon including all the now favorites: Contador, Levi, Valverde 'Bala verde', Mayo, Sastre, Chicken, Cadel, el viejo Moreau and lastly Kloden. Of these leading riders several are terrible cronistas, including Chicken, Mayo, Sastre and Contador- all lightweight climber types. Of the remainders, all are solid cronistas, although Levi, Valverde and Cadel are very up-n-down. Kloden, to me, is the danger man. With Vino more than 8min down, he's free to ride as he needs, is the best remaining time-trialist, and has finished on the podium. I would hate for him to win with all the old T-Mobile stuff hanging overhead, but he's the most consistent, most complete rider left.

That said, I agree with Phil, Paul and Levi. There are several potential winners still in the field. Chicken has 2.35 on 'Bala Verde' and some 3-4min to the remaining riders. I don't know if Moreau, Levi, and Kloden can consistently put in enough time to beat Rasmussen in the TTs, and certainly they won't drop him on the climbs. It's really a free-for-all, but Chicken certainly looks tough.

ed.- I just checked last year's TT results and Chicken lost a total of 15.5min! I know he may have the yellow to work for, but 15min is MUCHO TIEMPO. Maybe it's not all said and done. Los Pirineos will certainly give us some answers.

Comments

Doug said…
We have cable again this year. A rare thing in our household. So I've been catching at least the last hour of each stage. I like it when there is no clear favorite. This is what I dreamed about for seven years while LA and team dominated. It made for very boring racing. Can anyone still believe one man and one team could dominate this race so thoroughly for seven years without a lot of help from the doctors?
LvilleTex said…
I think, though, that ALL of them were/are medicated, and Lance came out the best with mostly all variables being equal. My contention with athletics is that the results would be the same, just that the pace is slower. I don't know. I love cycling but I hate the bad news over and over and over.

Popular Posts