A+ Day

Date: Sept 15 Sat
Mileage: 19.5 (Bleriot)
September mileage: 44.5
Year to date: 1451.5

Date: Sept 15 Sat
Mileage: 4.5 (LHT)
September mileage: 49
Year to date: 1456

Two rides yesterday, both having some measure of "errand" about them. The first was a road ride on the Bleriot. Let's start by saying that yesterday's weather was PERFECT- 70F, sunny, light clouds to give the sky texture, clean, fall crisp. My good neighbor Tom had asked me to fix his back tire for while, but it was during the ankle incident, so I never responded. I decided yesterday to stop by a shop en route and pick up a tube. The closest option now is Bardstown Bicycle, but nobody seems to like that shop- high prices and not-so-nice service. The next is OnYourLeft Cycles, the place I go for wrenching on the Bleriot. The owner, John, is really nice and his primary job is to wrench. The shop is the size of a modern bathroom (not ours). You couldn't put 20 people shoulder to shoulder. But they didn't have any 700x35 tubes, as it's mostly a mtbike/roadbike joint. They suggested a shop I'd never visited, The Bike Depot. I think this is a shop that Louisville has needed for a long time. They carry Bianchi, Jamis, and Breezers, but much more importantly it's a shop founded on sustainability and a progressive vision of cycling as function instead of Lance-like, Trek-like fashion. The founder Jackie Green is very involved in local cycling issues and before the full-on shop he founded a bike messenger service for the 'Ville, the only one in fact. Now the shop is both full-service and fully committed to supporting cycling as what it should be, revolutionary. And carrying Bianchi, they have nice bikes.

San Jose tasty fixie

Volpe 'cross bike/do-all "Cross-check-esque"

And finally the famous Milano. Nothing more to say about that.

I work with a former marathoner who now has bad knees. Don't they all? She wants a "bike" but can't decide on type- commuter? century bike? neighborhood? I think she will ride it b/c if she's type-A enough to run a few marathons she certainly is enough to ride. I'm just trying to give her some input so she makes a good choice and my few readers know there are plenty of bikes out that that can multi-task to be a good commuter AND century bike. I think the Volpe above is a good example of that.

After looking at other people's potential bikes I did a loop up Cox's Park and through Indian Hills towards home. Great ride on the Bleriot.

Later I attended a party in the Phoenix Hill area, riding the LHT. I'm redundant, but I love to beat the cars going up B'town. The traffic was pretty heavy, so I just jammed along, sometimes in between traffic and parked cars (I know, I know, very dangerous there. I watch) and other times taking a full lane. Obviously I'm feeling better. Maybe too better. Certainly I had more than 1 drink per day yesterday. I was supposed to come home and watch the UK/UL game with the fam and instead ditched them for a little bar hopping. Not right and not good. Must do penance. Go Cats though, with the first victory in a while.

Today, 1/2decaf1/2reg small coffee and a muffin for breakfast and piety the rest of the day. But a great day yesterday!! Oh, and I have a tasty treat coming too. More later on that.

Comments

Popular Posts