Ouch!

Date: Oct 14 Sun
Mileage: 20 (C'dale "Caffeine")
October mileage: 216
Year to date: 1817
Temps: 70F Sunny

After not getting out yesterday (soccer duh!), I decided on a mountain bike ride this mid-day. The original plan was to get out on the Bleriot for a substantial road ride, but whether it's mental block or what, I instead decided to stay closer to home and doing some trail riding on the 29er. I hadn't been out 'crossing or mtbiking for a good while, and the near-perfect weather of late made it good reason to hit the trails. I started with what I'll call the Seneca Golf Course trail. It climbs up the side of the hill, snaking along instead of what used to be a straight-up-the-hill divebomb. I encountered several walkers in this area taking advantage of the nice day. I also came across the first of several cyclists on the day. That trail dumped me out onto the Seneca trail which leads to the Seneca Loop. At this point I felt very fresh and I had cleared several obstacles, ones I sometimes chicken out on. After a dirt loop around Seneca, I then headed over to the 2nd portion of the Seneca section for some more fun, twisty singletrack. I came across 4 more cyclists as well. This section of trails is intentionally full of numerous logs, and the combo of fat rubber on the 29er along with my willingness made for easy clearances.

From there I headed into Cherokee, bypassing the Big Rock trail. It's so lumpy with rocks and roots that I find it no fun. I then headed into the Presbyterian trial- it's downhill from the Presby Seminary. I ran across what looked and sounded to be a German/Dutch/Swedish/etc. family; they were all strikingly blond and dressed modishly (whatev that means). I cleared that portion easily and then entered the newer trail leading up to Maple Rd. I like that section very much. The trail has been routed to go up the hill in such a way that it's both challenging and much easier than the old trail that went straight up/down. After crossing Maple that put me on the GayManinWoods Trail. I'm laughing as I type that b/c, in fact, that portion of the park is pretty famous for Gay men in the woods. Fact of Life. I didn't see any covert scampering today, but that downhill is the funnest part of the whole park. I want to give many kudos to the trail-building crew that has improved these different trails. I started riding Seneca/Cherokee in '93 or '94, and the modern trails are much more fun than the older versions.

The Ouch came in on the newer Dog Hill South trail. It's a short steep uphill whach includes several "rock gardens", which are drainages I think. Another chap on a silver C'dale passed me at a very rapid pace. I'm too slow and easygoing to hammer in the woods. Right after that, though, I hit my right handlebar and took a hard fall in the woods. No blood or broken things, so I'll consider it minor, although I have some attractive scraps on my left leg. After that I'd lost my mojo. I find that confidence and speed are what's necessary when mtbiking. Once you lose those, you go too slowly and tentatively to really succeed. From there I took it easy, going through the bottoms on the paved path and then walking the bike through a newly-designed No Bikes trail, one that had informative nature placards every so often with info about local flora and such.

From there I exited and head home via Bonnycastle and Bardstown. A good ride, maybe a 3.5 star ride. I didn't break myself or the bike, so I have to consider it a success.

Comments

Doug said…
You have a 29'er too?! I can't keep track of all your bikes. You're a lucky man!
LvilleTex said…
I know, I know. The story is too long to share, but I didn't pay for it, and it was also not stolen. To be honest, it was a gift from my generous benefactor father. I've been buying my own bikes for a good while, but I can't deny the occassional positive impact on the collection. It helps to be the only son (well, I now have a 3 yr-old half brother- another story) of a successful capitalist. And I'm a public servant you know.

All my miles are coming on the LHT these days.

Popular Posts