Commute

Date: Nov 16 Fri
Mileage: 28 (Bleriot)
November mileage: 233
Year to date: 2277
ipod: 'Burnside on Burnside', Howlin Wolf, Bobby Bare Jr.

With the LHT needed a quick washing, lube and a new bulb for the Lumotec, and with 1 commute on the fixie and an unhappy ankle (they seems to not agree), I dragged out the Bleriot for a rare commute. One advantage was that I had no papers, and my pants were already at work, so no problems for the Carradice. I added the Niterider Trailrat and was surprised how much brighter it was than the Lumotec or the old Vistalight I've been using on the fixie. The morning brought chilly temps- the radio said 33F and weather.com 28F, so I can't quite come to terms with who is right, but I was adequately dressed:

thick wool top/Capeline long-sleeve shirt/LLBean Anorak
thick polypro tights/MUSA long pants
thick wool sox/plastic baggies/Target shoes
Descente beanie
warm gloves, the ones I wear in the 30s

I list these kinds of things as much for myself as for you dear readers. It helps to remember for future rides. in the p.m. i rode west towards Shawnee and the Riverwalk. Instead of a boring straight Hill St. trip, I jogged through a couple side streets and first ended up going by my 6th-grade school, Lyman T. Johnson Middle School. We had busing in the Louisville back in the day, so my last name meant I was bused in 6th grade. Busing in Louisville meant lots of white flight, especially to private schools and to Oldham and Bullitt Co. Johnson is in the middle of a crappy neighborhood, but I had a great year there. The classes were small, maybe 15, and you got lots of attention. It was great save the 1hr+ bus ride each way.

I continued the meandering and found Algonquin, Shawnee and the Riverwalk. I think we still have 1 or 2 weeks of color before the leaves are completely gone, and with clear skies and clear view of the river it was nothing but nice. The Bleriot was doing it for me too. I might need to adjust the saddle angle a bit, b/c it seems like I slide forward or down a bit too much but it sure is a comfy machine, and one I think I'm going to ride in a bit.

Right now at the computer I would say the temp is no better than 55F. The contractors, in true form, have stalled out. All the appropriate walls are removed, and a big sheet of plastic partially covers the new kitchen space. In the end, though, it's cold as hell in the back of the house. I'm hoping they get motivated and on the ball. We need our kitchen back and certainly need it for Xmas.

I've done good miles this week and hope to get some more in around the holiday. I'll be in Maysville for part of a couple days, so maybe a big country ride is in the air. I tend to hype those trips too much and leave disappointed as not doing mega miles, so I'll take things as they come this year. But that's next week.

Peace

Comments

Popular Posts