NYC p2- Yankees Stadium

The purpose of our NYC trip was to have the opportunity to watch baseball games in 2 parks that will not exist next season: Yankees and Shea Stadium. Obviously, if you follow sports in the U.S. you know, or at least can argue, that Yankees Stadium is the greatest single sporting space in our country. It's not the prettiest, the most gracious or the funnest to visit, but it's the Yankees and their 26 World Series. It's Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra, Ford, Mantle, Jackson, Jeter, etc. I'm not the baseball fan I was in my youth, but it's Yankees Stadium, for crying out loud.

Not great shot down the street outside the stadium. I love the elevated subway, something we certainly don't have in the 'Ville.

New Yankees Stadium being built next door. It has a classical feel, which sort of reminds me of Mussolini.

Inside the dank, dark corridors. These spaces are so much more fun than the modern, sanitized "entertainment" spaces.


I was enchanted with this view from right field where you can see the subway through the gap. I just love that. And it's that shortish right field that has swallowed so many homers.


A-Rod and Jeter. I'm not a big fan of ARod, but Jeter, I respect. He seems like a decent guy, and certainly isn't in the news for boning, oops, visiting Madonna.



A-Rod again. My cousin convinced me that, although he seems like a jerk, he may also be one of the greatest players of all time, even now and certainly by the end of his career. He preened and strutted, but he's enormous for a 3rd baseman and moves like a champ. There was one play where he stretched a double into a triple and has a couple RBIs. He rose up from his slide and the look on his face said, "Yes, I am A-Rod!".


A-Rod and Justin Morneau from the Twins. He's hitting .318 with 76 RBIs. He was also the well-deserved 2006 MVP.


Towards home plate after the game.


Towards left field and Monument Park. My cousin really wanted to visit, but basically stadium personnel freaked out and wouldn't let anybody in and were NY rude about it. It was sort of surreal. My cousin is in the green hat and "college" shirt.


Subway platform after the game. I like the repetition of the old apartment buildings on the other side.


It was a fun day. We all took the #4 train to get there with the teeming masses. Other than missing Monument Park, the rest was great. Great seats. Great beer and Nathan's hot dogs. The Yanks won. Fun Stuff and something memorable for me and the boys.

Comments

Popular Posts