Cheap 'Cross

I'm surfing around this morning, just soaking in that Saturday freedom. I was actually on my bike for all of 2min. I jumped on the Crosscheck and then turned around. The air is actually nippy- 62F- for the first time all summer. I was underdressed and undermotivated. I had a great commuting week and today if a ride presents itself, great, but if not, great. The dishes needed doing and some recycling too, so I'm just relaxing and feeling it.

As for 'Cross, the 'Ville has become quite the 'cross playground. The last couple years we've hosted some big races and doings on our new riverfront park are going to include a 'cross area. We have numerous races, all part of the Ohio Vally 'Cross series, which also includes Cincy, Indy and Lexington. That all said, I happened across a link from some page or another today to find a flyer for the Viroqua 'Cross Series in WI. Every Monday for a month they have various races for all abilities. What struck me was the populist gesture of the $5.oo entry fee. Five bucks. That's all. I couldn't find a link on the ovcx.com site, but I cannot imagine entry fees at only $5. That's a new, fun experience that many a non-dilettante could embrace. I'm all for attending national-level US Gran Prix races. It's fun and the pace and ambience are hot. That said, if you want to grow the sport, give the peones a chance. $5. That's my style- and commensurate with my level of fitness, too. Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts