Danville/Yosemite

Date: August 29 Fri
Weather: 90F
Mileage: 21
August mileage: 327
Year to date: 1754

After a morning 11m doing errands, we loaded up the truck for our family camp trip. I've often thought of riding to Family Camp on Friday and meeting the family at the site, but this year wasn't able to muster the necessary whatever to do the entire Louisville/Yosemite century. Instead, I compromised on Danville/Yosemite, which is typically the final leg of the trip. We usually stop in Danville for supper at Fazoli's before completing the trip to Wakon' Da-Ho. After a plate of chicken/broccoli past and an extra breadstick, I changed into some cycling gear in the restaurant bathroom and away we went. I don't say "I" just yet. The intersection at 127by-pass/127 is a multi-lane hairyfest. If I had to cross it, I could, but this time, I instead had the family drop me off about a mile south on the other side. From there, I had a very straighforward route that followed old 127 through Junction City, Moreland and into Hustonville. From there I headed slightly east to meet road 518, which the locals know as Mt. Salem Rd. I would challenge any of my dear cycling readers to find a more pleasant cycling road that Mt. Salem. After a short climb out of the creek valley, this road followed ridgetops for 7-8 miles, overlooking farms, fields, knobs and cows. There was absolutely no traffic and the road wasn't too easy nor too difficult; it was just right. By this time it was around 8.00 and the light was beginning to fade. I brought the LHT b/c of the SON, and I included my helmet w/ light too. I didn't want to be stranded in the "boonies" without adequate coverage. As the light disappeared I pulled into Yosemite- pronounced "YO-suh-mite"- up the hill and into camp. It was nothing more or less than a perfect 21 miler.


The LHT with the OYB multi-bag. I bought this a month or so ago and have been using it as a "man purse". It is sold as a 5-way bag and this is the first time I've used it as a handlebar bag. It's a little goofy fitting and sometimes hit the switch on the B&M, but for this ride it held my camera and maps and I can't complain. It doesn't do as well on the Bleriot; it rubs the brake cables.



Field with trees and fence. I couldn't get one without the wires.

Driveway

The entire ride I had excellent light coming from the west. At this point it was a golden beacon. Later the colors turned even more vibrant.


Downtown Hustonville. This could be anywhere USA, coudn't it?


Hustonville also seems to have an affinity for haunted houses. In addition to this one, there is a "haunted castle" just outside of town on the new 127. BTW, I hate by-passes. They seem to have killed small towns and given rise to the pernicious Wally World.


Top of a shaded hill on Mt. Salem Rd. This was a great cycling road.


I don't have a good enough telephoto to do this justice. The sun was peeking out the clouds and washing the landscape in hues of pink, lavender and violet. It's like the entire landscape was sepia-toned, but by natural light.

More power lines bothering my pink cloud pic. I might just crop this to prove a point, even though I never adjust my pics.


OYB bag in action while on the move. I really do like the cockpit of the LHT with the Nitto Rando bars, cloth tape and interrupter levers.

Middleburg Rd. Panda. You can almost get a feel for the rosy tint of the light with this pic. And, damn, I sure am handsome.


Yosemite 1m from Wakon' Da-Ho. More rosy tint, more clouds, more goodness.

Comments

Apertome said…
We did a similar thing this weekend, hopefully I can write it up soon.

I have an OYB bag too! I've found it pretty much useless for cycling, though. It just doesn't seem to mount well any way I try it.

However, I have found it makes a great camera bag for my DSLR.

Lovely photos. The image quality leaves something to be desired, but the shots are great.
Doug said…
Nice post. Sounds like a great ride. I think this is the first time I've seen your picture. (?) Damn, you are a handsome devil. ;-)
The Driver said…
Great photos!

Popular Posts