The Storm

Date: September 16 Tues
Weather: 75F, sunny
Mileage: 19
September mileage: 165
Year to date: 1932

I'm sitting here in a Heine Bros. Coffee shop borrowing their wi-fi. It's the first time for me using the school laptop to do the local wifi thing. Unfortunately, the crux of it is that we had hurricane-force winds on Sunday afternoon- 75mph of fury- and it has decimated the city. Every, every, single yard has trees down or at least parts of trees down. To the best of my knowledge, perhaps 50% of Louisville households still don't have power. We're out of school and increasingly it looks like it could be an entire week of "vacation". We're now at the point when the food is all going bad and we had to buy batteries for the flashlights today, aside from buying our 8th bag of ice. I love my boys but we're all stressed and out of sorts and they're driving me CRAZY!

This morning I took a ride to fetch the laptop from school, and my iPod was there too. From there I took a ride downtown and found a nice large granite "tumbler" (i.e. paving stone) lying there, so I loaded it in the pannier and brought it home for the garden. It made for some good weight training, dragging a 20lb. stone across town. I intend of doing a ride each day the rest of the week now that the hard-core work is finished and it's all time spent with my wonderful children. FWIW, Monday as spent cleaning up and helping the neighbor cut down the tree lying across his roof. Bummer, but we came through it completely unscathed. The big maple that I've been maligning for years held up with nary a branch lost.

Gonna be a long week, but maybe an opportunity for some extra miles and a project or 2. Hope everyone out there has "weathered the storm" better than we. Peace, and more so to my family b/c I'm one cranky #$!%$.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Texy,

You can always come down to visit (and teach my classes). We didn't get any wind down here. Well...very little wind. It blew a plant off the back steps. Come Thursday night and go to the regional Transy alumni social.

My folks in New Castle said that they had bricks blown out of the church steeple. Crazy.

Glad to hear you made it through OK.

The LuvDogg
Frostbike said…
Another glad to hear you're OK. I hadn't realized that the Ville was right on the storm path. Once the hurricane went through Galveston I kind of stopped paying attention.

I'm a Minnesotan, I didn't realize they kept going once they hit dry land. :-/
Apertome said…
I heard that things had gotten wild in Louisville, so I am glad to hear you're OK. Things got a little crazy here too, but not as bad. I'll post my story soon, hah.
Anonymous said…
Wow, I totally missed this -- usually my dad calls with weather news. Maybe his power is out... Enjoy the unexpected time off!
--Laura

Popular Posts