So many tyres

I spent a reasonable amount of time this afternoon tinkering, although I did do a couple minor projects, visa-vi taking the Xmas lights down outside and capping a hole in the garage side door (water rot). On the LHT I mounted 'Z' nice, little camera bag. I have to buy him a new one b/c it didn't fit his new camera he got from his Gran for Xmas. For the 9.2.5. I tinkered some more with the front wheel, which now has not 1 but 2 huge wobbles. I think it's the single worst truing job I've ever seen. It eventually got left off at OYLC, but 2009 will be the year of becoming more competent with the wheel maintenence process. I pumped up the tires on the 'bent with thoughts of a ride today. It never happened, but it's ready. Per Tom's recommendation, I also changed the seat angle. He stated that a SWB 'bent would be a little calmer with the weight more dispersed. I spent most of my time on the Bleriot. I took off the Grand Bois cypres' and remounted the ColdlVies. I remember not liking them that much, but I'm going to use them as winter rubber. I spent a fair amount of time fiddling with the rear fender, especially the new bracket I got from Jim. It's too big so it makes a big racket. My plan of attack is to cut down the prongs (tin snips?), file the ends and rearfold them around the fender. I'll probably fuck it up. :-). I also cleaned the garage a bit and found the following:
  • 2 Serfas Drifters-2x2"- These were the 3rd tires on the LHT commuter. They're pretty nice but heavy as hell. That's why I changed. They have alot of life left, though.
  • 2 Continental Contacts- 2x1.75"- Lots of flats. Not impressive. These were the 4th tires on the LHT.
  • 2 Conti Avenue semislicks-2x1.3"- These were the 2nd tires on the LHT. Lots of flats. Conti didn't have a good couple years.
  • 2 Cheng Shin semislicks- 2x1.5"- These came mounted on the LHT. I'm a snob and changed them quickly.
  • 2 Conti Ultragatorskins- 700x28C- These were mounted on the Blueridge and will be used again at some point. They're nice tires.
  • 1 Conti Ultragatorskin- 700x25C- I think the other is still on the RB-1. Dale is probably wearing that bad mutha' out.
  • 2 Grand Bois Cypres- just taken off the Bleriot. Very nice tires. They'll see use again this summer.
  • 2 Ritchey Tri-cross- 700x35. These don't fit the rims on the Crosscheck. I blew out 3 tubes trying this fall. They fit the wheels on the Blueridge though. I'll keep them for any future considerations. I like them.
  • 2 Vittoria RandoneurCross- 700x35C- I bought these off of REI b/c they had been well reviewed and they're not too common. I'm sure they'll end up used at some point.
If anyone is interested in the Serfas, Conti Contacts or Conti Avenues, make YBO. I won't give them away b/c they're rideable, but I'll let them go to a good home. I think there is at least 1 other pair of mtbike tires in the back, although I'm not sure what they are. What I would like to get is another pair of 29ers for the C'dale. The ones on there suck, but I don't love the bike enough to make the investment for new rubber.

Weather folks are talking big snow Monday night through Wednesday. I'll have to consider what bike I'll use to ride to work, b/c barring heart problems, I will ride to work.

Comments

lithodale said…
I have a Dremel tool (OK, I have a bunch) you can use for your modding should you wish. If your going to fuck things up you may as well do it quickly and to the point of no return....

Popular Posts