Clark State Forest and a Slice

We successfully, if a bit crookedly, pulled off the 3rd RCCS ride, putting in a 47.5m day over some luscious country terrain in southern Indiana. I won't get to much into the ride detail, as that will be done to a fuller extent on the RCCS site. My own personal impressions, though, are as follows:
  • I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the performance of the Bleriot today. I hemmed and hawed whether to ride the Rans as I had told Dave, only to find that there wasn't one but three 'bents to start the ride. Utimately I decided on the Bleriot b/c it's my favorite country bike but I finished the day unsure. It felt sluggish compared to many of the rigs there and surprisingly, the Brooks bother the backside today, something I hadn't experienced. I attribute it to some fast riding in portions of the day and the Bleriot is just not that fast.
  • I didn't dress as well for the day as I could have, but neither did anyone else. Highs of 55F or so became highs near 60F, but with sunshine, so it was a warm day. I didn't wear gloves, but I had wool socks and the Keen Targhees and, henceforth, hot feet all day long. A further foot fact is that with all the climbing I would have been better served clipless, I/Grant be damned. 'course, I didn't experience big foot pain.
  • With the steady ups and downs, it surely would be easier if I were down pounds. I feel like if I were down pounds, I have the necessary power to ride a good pace, but I'm SO slowed down by the extra cartons of milk I carry up every incline. I'm 39 and I can remember dealing with this for as long as I can remember. Skinny people don't understand.
  • I shifted the right bar-end so much that I wore a callous on my right hand. I was sometimes wishing for STI. I/Grant again would be upset.
  • I did get to experience some magic 'mixed-terrain', and the ColdlVies performed swimmingly. I can complain about the Bleriot's performance, but everyone else was bitching up a storm at the gravel and I sailed through.
  • I had to take the front fender off the Bleriot before the ride, as it was rubbing against the CdlV tires. The fender issue must be taken care of in the future.
  • Mix-ups, dropped riders (not I), confusion and elevation be damned, it was a great day on the bike.

Comments

lithodale said…
For the record....I dressed perfectly.

Best regards,
Dale

Popular Posts