Wilco Friday

Cincinnatti Aronoff Center set list- Fri 6/12

1.
Wilco (The Song)
// E1: 19. The Late Greats
21. Walken
  • it was the wife's 9th time and my 8th seeing Wilco, beginning with their first tour back in '95. We actually saw Tweedy play on the final tour with Uncle Tupelo oh so long ago
  • I'm not sure why #22 is highlighted like that. I pulled the list form the WilcoBase site.
  • I enjoyed both "Spiders" and "Bull Black Nova" quite a bit. I'm a fan of dissonance and noise.
  • The selections are pretty heavy from 'Ghost' and 'SBS'. They only played a few off the new album. The fit pretty well in the typical Wilco repertoire, but don't break much new ground.
  • We had nice seats at the front of the first balcony, but we had cavalcade of 10 people constantly passing in front of us. It gets very, very, very tiring being stepped on by poseurs who are only there to have been there. It detracted from our show experience quite a bit. We're old. Can you tell?
  • I was surprised that there was no background. It was some basic lighting and not much else of a stage show.
  • The behind-the-scenes guys- Nels, Pat, Mike- are coming more forward as full bandmates than just hired extras.
  • I had a large McDonalds chocolate shake after the show. It was disgusting and I got what I deserved.
  • The crowed sang all night and seemed to know all the lyrics. I'm not sure what to think about that one. The crowd also reacted very enthusiastically to "Impossible Germany". I never have liked that song.
  • My fav Wilco venue out of those 8 was definitely the Iroquois Amphitheater who from a couple Octobers ago. My fav Wilco show overall was on the Summerteeth tour at Headliners when the wife was *very* pregnant with 'L'. Interestingly, she was pregnant with 'Z' at the first show. It hasn't affected their musical tastes, as least obviously. Neither likes Wilco all that much.

Comments

Laura said…
I used to dance my son to sleep as a baby to "California Stars" -- it therefore has a place close to my heart. Summerteeth is my favorite Wilco album. Glad you enjoyed the show.

My son heard a heck of a lot of classical music from within as I sang, but he has no interest in it. A few years ago he was into U2, Beck, and Coldplay (and a few songs by the Eagles of Death Metal), but now he doesn't seem to show any interest in any music we play. I'm hoping that changes, but you just never know what your kids will like.

Popular Posts