State of the Nation

I actually posted the messages below yesterday, or tried to post, but it didn't do so, so I post it this morning with the follow-up.  It's funny that I can post information on here sent out to the world about content that I don't even tell some of my co-workers or family members, but I'm detached from the audience here a least one step, at least from most.  And the readers with whom I interact regularly are ones with whom I've spent mile after mile discussing health, weight, mortality, suffering, physical renaissance and such, so I don't mind.

I had my heart cath yesterday based on the "positive" stress test last week. To my strong benefit, no plumbing work was needed. I didn't have anything blocked or clogged, so no stents, or "plastys".  What I did get was a stern talking-to by my cardiodoc. The gist was, first that my AFib- the previous heart condition which worried the bedevil out of me- was a back-burner issue.  He immediately took me off my med for that and we will deal with that in the future. Interesting. Secondly, he stated that given my age and the conditions in my plumbing, I'm ripe for a future heart attack (at a young age), if I don't get my shit together. Specifically, I have plaque built up, apparently in my primary artery (aorta or one of the feeder ones?), the one that takes 80% to the heart. I'm going to clarify, but it seems that he said that the buildup wasn't in a good spot, so future stents and such aren't necessarily viable; I have to verify that observation.  Now I've gone from 2 meds- AFib and aspirin- to 4: aspirin still, beta-blocker, statin and fish oil pill.  I've read mixed reviews on the statin and beta-blocker, so more research is needed.

What is really needed, above all, is to get my health back. Doc stated upon leaving, "With the miles you ride, there's no reason you're as big as you are."  And he's right. He's a cyclist too, so he gets it. He knows what it is to put in 3000m on the year (probably double that). And still I'm really, really big. I see pics of myself from the gravel rides and it's pretty shocking, the ability to move that bulk up and down the hills we climb.  I suppose that underneath all the fat is a set of strong legs and an adequate engine, but I carry 30lbs more than Dave (and he's much taller) and who knows how many more than Michael, just as an example.

My food issues are now coming to a head. I'm about to be 41 with 2 kids getting older. I want to experience their college years, their weddings, their kids- well, my wife does mostly.=)  I myself want to travel more, bike more, photo more, listen to more, live a more satisfying life than the one that has bedeviled me for the first 40. I'm both resolved and resigned that somewhere I have  to become "the poster boy for beating heart disease" like Doc said. Let the games begin.

Comments

Doug said…
Wake-up call if I ever heard one. That's my brutally honest gut reaction Tim. I, too, was shocked to see the pictures of you on the gravel ride. On the other hand, it sounds like the procedure you had done gave you some positive results. It's not as bad as it could have been.

I'm cheering you on and sending positive vibes your way. I know you can make the changes you need to make. You've already stated all the reasons you have to do it. And you already have a physical activity you love to do....the cycling.

You can do this! No more excuses.
Apertome said…
You can absolutely do this. And yes, it's impressive what a strong rider you are, even with your weight up. Once you drop some pounds, I'm going to have trouble keeping up with you!
Hey Tex, I've dropped 30 pounds over the last 15 months and it's really improved my riding. My central motive has not been to lose weight or even to improve my health, but to do better in the DDD. Strange as it sounds, this obsession with one little race in January has driven the bus. Go figure. Or find something similar to motivate yourself.

MyPlate looks helpful. I used the LoseIt iPod Touch app from loseit.com. Whatever, so long as you start to form a clear picture of what you're taking in. Journaling my food intake is the only thing that's ever worked for me.

Take heart. You know the score and what you have to do, so that puts you ahead of most people. Best of luck.
LvilleTex said…
Thanks for the positive words guys. Really I'm feeling very positive right now. I know what's on the table and I look forward to feeling better. And I'm imagining kicking some mixed-terrain ass next year after I drop the weight. Same strength. 60lbs lighter. Grrr!

Popular Posts