Winter Cycling

Having thrown the 200K concept out there, I'm trying to grab miles here-n-there from the busy schedule. I moved the indoor trainer to a more usable spot the other morning but haven't used it yet. Yesterday after work I ran out for an 20m ride before darkness fell. After a run by OYLC to check on a shifter issue I decided to make a run down the Beargrass Trail. Oops. Not the best idea on a road bike.

I made it, though, without too much trouble. I also found a couple very sketchy sections of the park, especially on the scenic loop. One must take Berringer Hill instead of the low road.

Today during Z's track practice I went out again on the BR. After yesterday's experience I decided to modify it (this morning at 7.00) into a more appropriate winter training. I added:

  • seatstay light. It's the Portland Design Works and I like it a lot. I'm prolly going to buy another in fact.
  • MountainFeedBag up front for long distance. I spent some time looking at Carradice seatbags today, but I'm not in the mood to spend that $$.
  • mini-pump
  • SKS mudguards. I remounted these after taking them off a while ago. Doh! I found some hardware from an old pair of Zefal fenders and so don't have to use zipties to affix the stays; I was missing hardware for 3 different stays. I still suffer from toe overlap bumps, which is why I took them off the first time. After kicking up an obnoxious amt of crap on Friday, I'll take the TO over grimy spray.
  • It's a bit, I don't know, gaudy to use a Ti frame for winter duty, but again it's the perfect winter duty mount. It won't rust and the salt won't have as much an impact on it. I'm riding 32c Paselas, which are excellent for the muck, branches and winter pot holes. I like the interrupter levers up top for an extra hand position. I think it'll be the bike of choice for the Feb200K if the rear mech shifter works out. The STI is going out and missing about once every five shifts. I inquired yesterday about using a downtube shifter (used) which is my next preference. Again, I'm not in the mood to sink $$ into it. It's the winter trainer. I'll keep riding it STI for a few weeks, but it's time to go ahuntin' for an appropriate lever just in case.



Pleasantly so, I averaged 15.5 today on the ride this morning. Turtle pace is great when you have the time to do turtle pace. With less time to "train" for the 200K, I'm wanting to pick the pace up a bit and it seems to be working.

Comments

Barturtle said…
I'll note that you may want to pay attention to the RUSA rules for brevets, most notably the night riding sections, as the start is before sunrise and the 13:30 time limit is after sunset. Just to make sure you have all the proper reflectives (vest plus ankles), back up lights might be a good idea as well.

Depending on the weather, I'm thinking your luggage may either be just fine or marginal(if the weather sucks). This also depends on how much of your own food you plan to carry v. find along the route.
LvilleTex said…
Timothy, thanks for the info. Yes, I already did some reading on that. I've been looking around at vests and sashes.I'll also have another blinkie on the rear bag loop and another on the helmet, one of the smaller ones. As for front lights, that's an interesting one. I have an older Niterider that would work, as well as one of those 1W Planet Blaze lights. I can go with the Princeton tech helmet light too.

As for bags, I'm pretty sure I'll end up using my Carradice Nelson. It's probably too large but also prolly a better option than the smallish banana bag. I was shopping around for a smaller Carradice like the Pendle or Jr but will just save the money.
You ride brevets? What's your longest?
Barturtle said…
So far, I only ride brevets in my mind, though I'm tentatively planning on doing the 200k in Feb, depending on getting enough training in and the weather outlook for the actual ride. If I do ride it and everything goes well, I may try for the 300k, but seriously doubt going for the 400k and 600k.

I've got one of the basic commuter type vests, but find it chafes my neck and generally fits poorly, plus blocks my pockets. I'd like to give the Amphipod Xinglet Pocket a try.

Luggage wise, I'm pretty set, with an Acorn Handlebar Bag up front, a stem bag for gels (or a camera on more leisurely rides), and a choice out back of a Minnehaha Small Saddlebag (on a SQR bracket) or Carradice SQR Slim.

My light setup is an Ixon IQ and Planet Bike Sport Spot up front, Superflash x3 in the back, and a small helmet light. I'd like to get a Blaze 2W as a backup, as I believe it will use the same bracket as the Ixon.

Yes, the bike was built and setup with centuries and brevets in mind. I got in about 7 centuries last year, but chickened out on the brevets.
LvilleTex said…
Timothy, you have more long-distance experience than I do and a more ready set-up. I'm going to give my front lights more thought. I actually have a SON on my LHT commuter but don't want to use that for the ride. Maybe I break the Xmas band and use what remaining cash I have for a front dynohub and reasonable light, something like the IQ Cyo
Barturtle said…
I still wouldn't consider myself an expert, and I have not much night riding out in the countryside experience. I may have to get out and practice if we get a warmish dry night soon.

The CYO looks like a great light, but I just can't spend for a dynohub currently, and the Ixon allows me to use it that way in the future if I ever do come up with the funds for that.

Popular Posts