Ya vendra el Bleriot!!!

well, today, miercoles, had all kinds of mixed-but-wonderful cycling news and events coming my way. to help facilitate some childcare/child bus, i drove today so i could pick the boys up after school. i could've ridden and then bused, but i ended up late and the good wife agreed to release me for an afternoon ride after work (and releasing me from some homework duties). today called for outstanding weather, so it was an opportunity lost for lots o' november-end mileage, but...

getting home, i did a little thisandthat measuring et.al. and ORDERED THE BLERIOT from Jim at Hiawatha. this is a VERY big deal. i know that my LHT is not that old, but i think the Bleriot will complement was it going to be the 2007 year of the bike. i'm VERY excited!! according to I/Grant's PBH and SH, interestingly i ended up ordering a 57, which is larger than some of my others. for example:

Trek 400 57
LHT 54
Bridgestone RB-1 54
Blueridge ??

My PBH ended up 84, which puts me squarely in the middle of the 57 category.the Bleriot will be more like the Trek, but you know, i think that's a good thing b/c it's the most comfy ride-around bike of the many. nothing racy but rock solid, only the Bleriot won't be on 20 yr-old rusty rims, specious hubs, and a mostly-tired drivetrain. Big Stuff!! I'm tricking it out with a Nitto rear mini-rack for the Carradice Nelson Longflap that will be moved from the LHT. It (the LHT) is getting the rack re-installed, maybe with a Surly-made rack in fact. also, the Bleriot will get Jim's cloth and twine job, a honey brown Brooks and Berthoud fenders. Big Stuff!! Jim is also building me a new SON hub for the LHT to go with the Lumotec Oval that I already have in my possession. Jim will have to baby me through the electrical wiring, and that will "shiny" up the LHT too. I feel like i'm going to do 2 bike makeovers at once, with the LHT getting newer, larger SKS fenders to fit the monster 2" Serfas on right now. it will turn into a monster commuter.

and finally, after spending lots of $$, i got out for a quickie. i really wanted to get over 400 for the month, and did it today with a quick "mixed" ride in Seneca and Cherokee. i say mixed b/c i took the LHT with the monster Serfas on some of the mt.bike trails, as well as on the road. good "mixed" ride, and with the tire size, hope to do more herenthere. tomorrow the weather changes, but i'm on the bike anyway as a means to celebrate. gotta get all the miles in possible until tennis starts in the spring.

Date: Nov 29
Mileage: 14
Ride type: Mixed
Bike: LHT
Temp: 72!!
November mileage: 404
Year to date: 2217

last year, i had approx 900 in the 2nd half of the year, having started the blog in August. this year, for the same time i have 1175 and that totally doesn't include December. Can i have another 400mile month? I think so. to be wary, in '06 i came down with a nasty ear/throat infection thing in december, laying me low for practically 2 weeks. i'll have to practice better hygiene this time.

Good Times!

Comments

Doug said…
I am sooo jealous of the new ride! My next project will be a XtraCycle kit for my Rockhopper in the spring and then....I'll start saving for a handmade lugged steel ride. I might have Jim do the Xtracycle build for me. The bike will get a fresh powdercoat and then mostly new components.
Frostbike said…
Congrats on the new bike!!

Popular Posts