Errands

Date: Dec 18
Mileage: 18
Ride type: Errand
Bike: LHT
Temp: 48F p.m.
December mileage: 290
Year to date: 2519

went out this afternoon first to run a Xmas errand and then to take the long way home for a bit of mileage. the good wife had to work today, so i had the boys for the morning. tomorrow i'm going out for a longer road ride (hopefully) first thing in the a.m. nothing too great or not great to report. again, as the sun set early i enjoyed the benefit of the SON. Right now the LHT is damn heavy. I re-mounted a Blackburn rack, while still keeping the Carradice for now. After the Bleriot arrives, I'm mounting a basket on the back of the LHT, with 1 pannier underneath. Heavier even still, but I have other bikes for lightness, right? I actually checked out buying a Surly Nice Rack for the LHT, but was surprised at the $120ish price tag. Wow, that's alot of dough for a rack. I can live with much-less-expensive Blackburn until I decide to tour through South America.

Some of my slowness on the LHT may be due to a little front brake rub. I messed around with it this afternoon after the ride. The prob is that the brakearm adjustment screw- as I call it- can't be tightened any more, so i can't get the left brake arm further out from the rim, even though I loosened the right arm a bit to help. I need to ensure that the rim is perfectly seated. With the tire size, it's a little difficult to see exactly whether it's centered; it's rather unlike a skinny road tire in that respect. It's also the case that the locking (for lack of a better term) axle on the SON is a bit more difficult to finesse than the ease of a quick-release skewer.

I took in a very short climb near Frankfort today that had to be 20%. I moved all the way forwards to keep the front end of the ground. I would love to know the actual percentage, just for comparison sake. Here is another "epic" steep climb.

The Koppenberg of Ronde Van Vlaanderen fame. (courtesy of Grahamwatson.com)

Comments

Popular Posts