Tagged

I've been added to the list of the cool kids, with Doug tagging me. To be honest, I write not sure what to say, but feeling that I've been a smidge more included in the blogomunity.

5 things, on a site some friends and my wife read...

1. I've been to Spain 5 times- '89, '90, '92, '00, and '03 (those last 2 are approx.)- and I'm going for a 6th time summer of '07. It's a Perk, or a penalty, of being a Spanish teacher. I've also been to Costa Rica twice- '99, '01- and Mexico once-'05.

2. I've been singing in various choirs since age 13: 2 yrs middle school, 2 yrs PRP high school, 2 yrs Atherton Chamber Singers, 4 yrs Transylavnia U., 3 yrs Bach Society, and remainder in DBCC church choir. I'm good enough to sing solos on occasion but not good enough to really go any further. I like singing and it's the one thing I would say I'm better than the average Joe at doing. I'm adequately smart and a pretty good- but not great- teacher, but I do sing pretty well.

3. I've lived in numerous large metropolitan areas in the Eastern U.S.: Dallas, Houston (Sugerland), Louisville (not "large"), St. Louis (Chesterfield), Philadelphia (West Chester), and have visited my dad in Detroit (Northville) numerous times. Ranking them, according to experience:
#1 West Chester- beautiful and underdeveloped area, who knows now?
#2 Louisville- slow and staid, but comfortable
#3 Northville- only from reaping the benefits of the Tigers and Pistons
#4 tie Dallas/Houston- to young to remember
#6 St. Louis- hated every minute of it.

4. I saw the 2nd-to-last show of Uncle Tupelo, which begat Wilco and Son Volt. Wilco, my favorite band, has grown to become one of the most respected indy-rock bands around these days and I've seen them perhaps 6 times. Son Volt was the original offspring of the U.T. sound, but poor Jay Farrar sucks ass now.

5. We have, perhaps, 1500 or more CDs. To think now that it could/should all be on the hard drive. The whole collection is a good mix of 'alternative' rock, 'classic' rock, jazz, blues, classical, classical choral, bluegrass, country. Fav acts include: Neil Young, the Roots, Wilco, Beethoven, Miles Davis, Tallis Scholars, Pavement, REM, Otis Redding.

6. Bonus. I've come to realize that I like to list things. My mind is relatively disorderly, maybe dis-functional, but lists provide me relatively simple organization, however useless they may be.

I'll tag the following, but really I don't visit that many blogs who haven't already been tagged:

Chris (which seems to be out-of-order at the moment)
Ed ('Ville connection)
Joe ('Ville connection)
Matt (only b/c he's disappeared)
Smasher.net (hey, i doubt he reads my blog, but he's got some great pics from Guatemala)

Comments

Doug said…
Wow, that's one of the better lists I've seen. 1500 cd's? I'd love to spend a month going through that.
LvilleTex said…
Thanks. And yes, there are so many that I've forgotten some. 'Classic' Rock is very much on the back burner. For that matter, much of the 80s/90s 'alternative' rock section is as well. These days I prefer rather new stuff, or classical or jazz. Keep it fresh!
Anonymous said…
Your discovery that you like to make lists reminds me of Nick Hornby's High Fidelity, one of my favorite books. (The movie was also good, but I prefer the book.) I like the list.
--Laura
Anonymous said…
Whaddya mean, I probably don't read your blog!?!

Popular Posts