Fixed Flahute

Date: Dec 21
Mileage: 15
Ride type: Road
Bike: 925 fixie
Temp: 50F and raining
December mileage: 305
Year to date: 2534

Ater sitting around feeling lazy and fat the last few days, I got out of my pinche lazyboy and took a ride this afternoon, albeit in conditions less than clement. 50F and raining isn't really all that bad. I decided to get on the fixie, as that would require less cleaning and it has PlanetBike fenders attached. Whilst riding, I decided that it's a good idea to take at least 1 fixie ride a week. It's really a different sport from standard, geared riding. I've had the 9.2.5. long enough, and am just a bit more fit enough, that I need to change out the rear cog. Right now I'm running a 42x19, which gives me a gear of 59.2", according to SheldonBrown's site. The original was a 16, which I think still is a bit big for all the hills in this end of town. To make the change worthwhile, though, it would be useless to go less than 17.

The LHT project is coming along nicely. Here is/was the ToDo list:
  • mount huge Serfas tires. Done!!
  • mount new Serfas taillight. Done!!
  • mount SON wheel and Lumotec Oval Plus Senso. Done!! finished this afternoon.
  • remove present fenders, as they don't fit fat tires. Done!!
  • install black SKS fenders when they arrive from Hiawatha.
  • remove Carradice and Bagman. they're being moved (well, the Carradice is) to the Bleriot when it arrives. Done!!
  • install Blackburn rack already in possession. Done!!
  • gerryrig/fix C'dale panniers. need to sew a portion of often-used left bag, and fortify broken plastic part. Done!! (sort of)
Two, no three, aspects of the LHT makeover are being revised, no two revised and one postponed.
  • SKS fenders, black, aren't in stock at @ Jim's at the moment, so that will have to wait until I guess mid-January. Hopefully it won't rain a ton in early enero, else I'll end up wet or taking advantage of the fixie.
  • Concerning Pannier, I got greedy. Admist my webbings, I came across a really nice deal on Nashbar's "ATB Panniers". What's a guy to do? The C'dales have a broken internal frame, and I found a $35.00 savings. I installed them today, after them arriving in some amazing time of 2 days or so. They're fine, not great, but may work better. The C'dales, together, were quite large. These are a bit smaller each, but have means to add stuff on via built in straps. And with these I still can mount a basket if I want.
  • Lastly, I know it's wasteful, but I don't know if I can regularly commute on the 2" Serfas. They're amazing for roughhousing around the city, through all the nooks, crannies, alleys and wastelands of my fair berg. Por otro lado, I have a feeling they're heavy as they come. The Seras website claims a weight of 630g for the 2". To compare, the Panaracer Pasela TG 1.75", a reasonably comparable commuting tire weighs in at 440g. I don't know the road ride difference of 380g, but I perceive it as being sizable. I don't know. Maybe I'm being a wussy. The Col de la Vie 650B that I'm getting on the Bleriot weighs in a 430g, so maybe the Serfas are monsters. I may just change.
Riding tomorrow a.m. rain or shine!

Comments

Popular Posts