Maysville

Date: Dec 26
Mileage: 12.5ish
Ride type: road
Bike: fixie 9.2.5.
Temp: 40F
December mileage: 337
Year to date: 2566

Date: Dec 27
Mileage: 16
Ride type: road
Bike: LHT
Temp: 42F
December mileage: 353
Year to date: 2582

the fixie ride was a quickie before we left for the in-laws. after days and days of troughing and festivizing, i just had to get out, even briefly. 11m into it, i felt the unpleasant reality of the softening tire. b/c i had jumped on the fixie for a quickie, i had no gear w/me. oops! i made it to perhaps 1+m away and by then was riding on mostly rim. we had to leave shortly for said in-laws, so from there it was jog/ride to get home asap.

yesterday made for a nice-but-short ride in Maysville, home of said in-laws. b/c of the flat tire, i didn't have time to prepare the Blueridge or another, so i just threw the LHT in the back with some sweats and other less-roadie gear. it was a sunny and nice day, albeit a little windy and made for nice riding weather, although the northerly wind (coming from the south, right?) made part of the route quite tough. I've done a good job scouring many of the roads around the house, but didn't have time nor gear to do an "epic" ride, so i settled on exploring a road that would put me within reach of a reasonable ride and i could still make the movie that the crew was seeing at 2.30. as ever, Maysville's topography made for a challenging ride with its steep rollers and occasional climbs. i had fears of using the LHT b/c of its weight, but interestingly it proved to be a great mount for the area. the mt.bike gearing provided me lots of tiny little gears to help get up the steep pitches, and the big, fat tires were the perfect antidote versus all the country mud and gravel. i might just have to try it again. i also managed to have a perfectly good ride performed in sweatpants and Target $20 shoes (s/Wool sox). i did have some "cycling" upper-body gear, but these Rivbike people might be on to something in the feet department. you can be a "real" cyclist w/out cleats. these pics are in order:

This is humdrum except for the fact that this is a new cut through (you may be able to discern that the guardrails are shiny) on a road with scant population. Somebody must have friends in high places at the court house.

My favorite pic from this trip. I really like the line and the red roof of the farm house/ The climb out of this was rather steep.

Cujo and his sidekick Bart. Pics can't capture the ridiculous time I had with this dog. I'll explain more below.

Surprise!! TX Longhorn in KY.

This, my friends, is coal, King Coal as it's known in KY.

Train trestle in Lewisburg, Mason Co., KY


This is a Surly Long-Haul Trucker next to trestle in Lewisburg.

The pond across from in-law house at dusk.

Many efforts to capture pretty sunset. don't think i have enough camera to really do so.

p.s. Dog story. I was coming out of the river/creek valley and was faced with a very steep short pitch when that stupid-ass hounddog came to harass me. Every account of KY cyclist from the AdventureCycling group comments on KY dogs and their substantial quantities. Well, I stopped and yelled a bit and he turned, tail between legs, and trotted off. As soon as I started riding, he would come up in dog fashion and start trying to menace me trying to bite my left leg. I walked up the hill, on opposite side of bike away from dumb-ass dog. When I remounted at the top, he came charging and nipped my sweatpants. I stopped and yelled some more and he again trotted off. "Come on! Fight like a man!" Finally I had some downhill so I built up speed; he had speed too and came a-chasin'. I swerved left herenthere to slow him down and I finally lost him perhaps a quartermile down the road. As all this took place, his sidekick "Bart" was a-yappin' and a-yappin'. It was most certainly like a Warner Brothers cartoon with the little yap dog jumping around his big bulldog buddy. Ridiculous!

Comments

Popular Posts