Que Dia!

Date: Dec 13
Mileage: 26.5 (8a.m./18.5p.m.)
Ride type: Commute
Bike: Trek
Temp: 60Fp.m.
December mileage: 219.5
Year to date: 2448.5

perhaps THE perfect commute today, with perfect weather and perfect utility. i found myself thinking towards the end of my ride that my commuting in these circumstances is highly functional, but fortuitous as well. i'm on the road at abt 3p.m. If i get in a ride like today's, i'm able to do 15-25 miles before the sun significantly sets. i see riders in the park who seem to be just starting, racing to get mileage in before dark. i also get the full warmth of the sun, while it's up, instead of those drafty breezes of nighttime darkness.
"because it's there..."


the fact is, it was 61F in the middle of December with beautiful sunny skies. i left school with 'lance'. he's basically had the last 2 months off from riding, but it was good to have brief company. i headed towards River Rd, where the tailwind allowed me to put it in the big ring of the Trek and feel some speed. at Indian Trail i did some minor exploration in the nooks and crannies of the area's big homes. i crossed over the Blankenbaker, made my way to Rudy Ln and crossed through the Seneca to home.

"Did i mention large homes?"

the day was further improved by an arrival and a success. the good wife called me this a.m. with news that a big box from Hiawatha had arrived. from the description, i knew it was my new SON generator hub for the LHT!!! the experiences was futher improved my insights, the success. First, i finally realized the damn wires hanging out the bottom of the Lumotec are for the hub. Don't laugh. the previous generator setup with the old Shimano NX20 and cheesy Shimano light had alternative wiring that i now recognize as being superflous b/c the bad light didn't have integrated wiring, but you rather had to use the alternative posts that i usually kept for backup lights and taillights.

the second good fortune was hitting up my neighbor E for some help; damn it's good to have an HVAC guy with all the tricks to the trade. He (not I) got me set up with the connectors for the SON. an informal mounting on the front proved things operational, so now it's just properly wiring, mounting the light, and generator hub I'm bound.

and the Bleriot can't be too far away...

Comments

Popular Posts