Commute

Date: Jan 8 Mon
Mileage: 24.5 (LHT)
January mileage: 107
Year to date: 107


Nice commute today, w/ a little more-typical weather for this time of year. (42F in the p.m.) The afternoon wasn't all that cold, but a brisk breeze and some coldish toes made for tough going. It seems that of late the cold gets my legs blocked. Maybe my expectations are too high.

I'm caught in an internal struggles well where to go w/ the LHT's tires. Right now the setup is the 2" Serfas w/ no fenders. I also can return to fenders (unknown make) and 1.4" Conti's, which I think flat too easily. At one point I was going to buy new SKS fenders from Hiawatha, perhaps with new tires, but after the holiday splurge I'm wondering if that's not too extravagant and wasteful. I'm only having the debate b/c the Serfas are damn heavy. I accept that my riding isn't too "racy" anymore& I'm no "weight weenie". BUT, they're a couple hundred grams of rolling weight heavier than most of the other options like Paselas or some of the Schwalbe products. I should just be happy w/ what I have, b/c what I have is nice. BUT, it's a fixable issue without that much of an investment.

Comments

Doug said…
I think I'd stick with the Serfas unless you really want fenders on the LHT. My 2 cents.
Doug said…
I used the same Sefas for two seasons commuting and they never flatted. That's worth the weight to me.
LvilleTex said…
Good point. You're persuasive here. Jim though that hte SKSs were perhaps adjustable enough to take the 2" tires. We'll see, but thanks.
Anonymous said…
you could also make your own fenders out of old coroplast election campaign signs - not as pretty as the sks fenders, but workable, and to my mind, somewhat fitting on a surly :)

Popular Posts