Strange

Date: Jan 11 thurs
Mileage: 14 (LHT)
January mileage: 148
Year to date: 148

First, I heard clanging this morning. It stopped to find that I had left a pocket of the pannier open. The Nashbar panniers that I now have on the LHT have this top pocket that, if left open, can allow things to fall out via gravity. Not the best design, but I retrieved them, if only b/c the street was so empty at 6.20. Then I noticed my front wheel, the SON wheel, making a really wacky noise. The SON wheels have a notchy sound only for a few revolutions, and then it quits. This a.m. it got noisier and noisier. Eventually I turned off the light, but I was quite worried. I thought maybe the cold had a bit to do w/ it, but once I got to work and googled it, I found no reference to cold affecting noise. The light worked fine, but it sounded like one of those monster, high-rise trucks with huge mud tires. Not right. AND once or twice while climbing I noticed the right brake shoe rubbing. I finally looked at the tire during an work break and LO and BEHOLD, it had worked loose, which is to say the skewer had worked loose and the whole wheel was sort of wobbling there. DUH!!! The extremely nasty-sounding funk came from a loose wheel. Good thing it didn't fall off mid-ride. I read somewhere that SON wheels really must have "lawyer tabs". I now see why.

Coming home was almost as strange. I was moseying along Cherokee Rd. minding my own business when a penny "fell from the sky". Where the @#$@# did that come from. Turns out, some idiot teenagers who sitting on the roof of a porch and apparently had thrown it at me. Great younger people we have. After I slowed down the one on the roof scampered in. I hollered that I was calling the cops, and did. It was the first call I've ever made to the police concerning my cycling. Several years ago I had a much better reason when a car threw a "Big Red" on me. He/They had done it to another person too. I actually had a description and plate ## on that one, but didn't call; I should have. I don't know how this afternoon went down, but I hope Johnny Law made a quick visit. No harm done though.

Comments

Anonymous said…
They threw a "Big Red" at you? You mean the soft cuddly mascot from WKU? :)
LvilleTex said…
Hmmm, not exactly puddinhead. The classic southern sugar and caffeine fest that I've sure you're aware of.
LvilleTex said…
That's "I'm sure"

Popular Posts