Goal

Date: July1 Sun
Mileage: 4 (Trek400)
July mileage: 4
Year to date: 950
Other: 1-mile walk

I did a fair amount of work on the bikes this afternoon, although none of it too major. The Bleriot got its Carradice Longflap ready for riding and commuting, plus some air in the tires. The LHT got extensive brake work, one wheel tweaked, panniers reattached and more brake work. The Trek got air. The F29 (doesn't that sound like a damn plane? Remember, I didn't pay for it) got new pedals coming from the Trek. The Trek got new pedals. No, the F29er got pedals from the Rans. The Rans got pedals from the Trek and the Trek got cage pedals from somewhere, not sure where. The reasoning is that the F29/Caffeine/F29er had proprietary pedals which didn't have a happy cleat interface with Shimano, so I traded all around. Now, the Bleriot, Trek, fixie have cage pedals and Rans and LHT 1/2 cage ones (with other side cleat). I like them very much in the summer b/c they're good with sandals. I also fiddled with the Crosscheck, but things are bad. The chain is too rusted for me to disassemble it, so I'm going to eventually give up and take it the the LBS. It will need a new chain, freewheel/cassette and maybe a rear derailleur. Don't you think the "real" bikes should be ridable? right? I also mounted the other pannier on the Rans, giving it both. The LHT, Rans, and 1 other will be my commuting bikes, probably the Trek or the fixie. On the 3rd commuter I'll mount the seat-post rack, but I have to decide, but not until August.

What I have decided is that I'm going to ride every day in July, whether it be 1 mile or 100. I'm unhappy with my June performance, but I'm also not going to beat myself up over it. I'm just going to ride every day in some form and see how it turns out. Wouldn't it be great if I could take a Sunday morning ride with the MN/Hiawatha crew? Those sound like folks good to ride with, but the 'Ville is lacking in that character. Maybe I should provide some leadership and create a group like that, although I don't think they're many Rivendells, Surlys or vintage 3-Speeds around. I AM going to ride every day though, and I'm going to ride every (ridable) bike at least once. That shouldn't be hard. This summer I've already been on the Bleriot, Blueridge, Trek, Fixie, and the Rans. I would need to add the LHT, F29/F29er/Caffeine (I don't know the name. I just looked it up and it's Caffeine 29er, but mine also has "F29" on the top tube. puzzling. and remember, I didn't buy it, but also didn't steal it nor take it.), and very unhappy Crosscheck. The good wife might not let me spend the necessary $$ to fix the Crosscheck just yet. I am glad people who read and write these blogs understand why I have so many bikes. The good wife told me this evening that she s "glad I have a bike hobby, but just make sure to ride the pinche things." She's right.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If you ever find yourself down around Berea, give me a holler. We have some good roads to explore. I can't say that I have the kind of thing that Kent has, but we have some nice stuff. Plenty of hills and if you are feeling the need, we can cross the ferry. It crosses the Kentucky river right where Madison, Jessamine and Fayette Counties come together.
LvilleTex said…
Will do. I might have to make a special trip in the fall for leaf color. thanks for the invite.

Popular Posts