Pillowy Marshmallow Cushion

Date: July 20 Fri
Mileage: 32 (Bleriot) + 3 (9.2.5.)
July mileage: 357
Year to date: 1304

The Buddhist Middle Path teaches to neither become too despondent nor too elated. I should take this approach with respects to my rides this week. Monday I was quite bereft with failure that I didn't achieve my ambitions of a substantial country ride. Today I had very few expectations other than to get out, but boy did I have a great ride this afternoon. I was languishing mid-afternoon and preparing for a siesta; I had woken up at 6.50 with nature calling and I have also been in my summer mode of going to bed at 12 or 1. Sleepy.

Suddenly, I jumped up and hit the road with a general agenda. I would do the Locust Grove Loop, but instead of coming home straight via River Road, I would do a very extra hills out of the river valley just for practice. And I did just that. Let's be clear that Louisville is in ridiculous shape at the moment- 80F, no humidity, clear blue sky, a total freak condition brought on my northerly strong storms last night (or is that southerly, from the north?). It would be hard to not enjoy such conditions. I took the Bleriot out, but first removed the Powerstraps. I've gotten used to using Keen sandals for my riding. They're quite comfy, but have a big, wide footbed that doesn't fit too well in the straps.

The park was nice. Rudy Ln was nice. The Blakenbaker hill was pretty easy. I had considered going out to Lime Kiln, but the 5.00 traffic made that safety-prohibitive. Other than risking death on the every-busy River Rd., I was great at this point. The first extra climb was up Totem Rd. in Indian Hills. I looped back down to the Cox Park trail and proceeded to Mockingbird Ln., taking in that pleasant climb while passing some roadies. Back down and this time up a short, steep climb on River Dell. This put me into the Crescent Hill area. From there I decided to head down Brownsboro and back out through the parks.

Given the gorgeous weather and the yummy comfy ride of the Bleriot, my ride became more interesting when I crossed paths with a couple of the roadies I had seen on Mockingbird. They were headed down Story, I assumed, in preparation for working back towards the park. I, garbed in a Tshirt, Keens, MUSA shorts and my heavy-ass Bleriot, headed out in pursuit. I caught up to them shortly afterwards on Spring. When we all turned onto Lexington, I ended up in front so I upped the pace. I felt pretty dang good in my Keens giving the lycra crew a little tow up to Cherokee. They took the lead going in and up golf course hill. If I had been on my own I certainly would've taken my time at this point, but I nestled in behind the two and held pace up golf course hill. After that, they must've gone in a different direction b/c I didn't see them anymore. I wanted to than them for the motivation, b/c otherwise I think I came off like a creepy fred. And although my good wife will perhaps read this, one of these 2 roadies was not your everyday ugly, skinny 25yr-old dude. It (the roadie) was something to watch while riding, so that was some extra motivation even if it was creepy. Sorry dear. It happens so rarely on the bike.

Later I took the 9.2.5. up the pizza joint w/ fam and friends. Coming home, I saw a girl get pulled down by her dog who was chasing a rabbit. That image made the whole 3m loop worth it.

Ups and Downs. That's life.

Comments

Popular Posts