Futbol mas cerca



I could find a bunch of crap about ManU's crappy start or other PL business. Or I could do some crap about Beck's first, most excellent free kick. You can find that if you want. I'd rather show you this conceptualized header with crest from the group trying to bring MLS to the St. Louis area. I lived in St. Louis in the summers of 1987 and '88. Granted, I was miserable there b/c my parents dragged me there right after graduation, so I associate the city with the depths of Hell given that I had no friends and not much of a clue. But it's a great baseball town, and the Cards have always been my 2nd favs after the Reds. The city also has a pretty deep futbol history, and even from back then I remember how hyped the local high-school game was. I think it would be a great market for MLS and it's a team I would support. From that location it's just short of a 4-hr drive. I think it would be worth 1 summer overnight to take in a game, and the facilities they're considering are pretty damn nice. The only real question remaining is, Why can't the 'Ville pull this off? No, we're not really a futbol town, but again it's thinking small and limited around here. Their facilities concept includes not only a stadium and practice fields, but stores and homes. It's big thinking. Hizhonorforlife would never think too big. It might lose him the next election.

Comments

amidnightrider said…
You got my attention. I'm a footie fan from waaaay back. New England Revolution and the US Nats are my teams.

St. Louis has always been a hotbed for football. They would have little problem filling a statium. Personally I am hoping for a St. Louis team.

My youngest son lived and worked there (Samsonite) for a couple of years and I always found it a pretty good tourist city.

When my wife and son would go to the zoo, I would spend time meandering around the park watching some of the many soccer games going on. It was a fanatics paradise.

I think however that Rochester NY and/or Seattle will get the next couple of teams.
amidnightrider said…
Correction:
Portland I wanted to say. Rochester and Portland.

Popular Posts