LHT tweak

The LHT is in the back room instead of in the garage, and that can only mean one thing. I'm RIDING tomorrow. Since I last road the weather has transitioned from mornings in the mid-70s to those in the mid-50s, so that will require a little creativity. I also haven't decided on footwear, although Tevas with socks sound good for the a.m. I'll certainly report back in on the first ride in almost 4 full weeks. Amazing stuff. Wish me luck.

And on a different front I'm making plans to mess with the LHT. I've decided to take the 'Stache bars off and add regular drop bars. This will necessitate a new stem probably, but the levers and bar-cons should be fine. I think I'll also resurrect the Tektro 'cross bar-top brake levers too. I found a Nitto Randonneur bar used via one of the list-serves, and am getting a bar of Salsa Bell Laps thrown in for good measure. The whole package should be too pricey, although I'm intrigued about the stem issue. I'm considering a adjustable Ritchey stem, one in which you can change the angle. That sounds interesting, to be able to go up or down depending a bit on mood and circumstance. What do you think, cork or cloth? shellaced cloth? Yes, I think that might be my answer, as I like the think, crisp and eventually soft fell of used cloth.

First, though, a ride, a commute, as it should be. Next week I have my stress test on Tuesday and the thought has crossed my mind to ride to it. That's sort of ridiculous, don't you think?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I converted to shellacked cloth this summer. I really like it, especially on my road bike. The jury is out on my crossbike, but I have not ridden it as much so the shellac is not as worn. I like the way it feels/looks when it is worn.

I like that red LHT frame that Surly has now. I resist because I have been hoping that Soma will come out with a touring or adventure type bike. Maybe something like the Rivendell A Homer Hilsen, but at a price I can justify. I have been very happy with my Soma Double Cross. The Soma website has a notice about new frame news. They announced a 650B mountain bike and I am holding out for more frame news.
Frostbike said…
Take your riding one day at a time. See how the commutes go before riding to the stress test. But if the commutes are fine and it's a short trip to the doctor's office, why not? Your heart rate should return to normal while you're sitting in the waiting room leafing through copies of National Geographic from 1993. :-D

Popular Posts