SUV commute

Date: Sept 30 Sun
Mileage: 22 (Crosscheck)
September mileage: 183
Year to date: 1591

Although today was a Sunday- hence not a school day- I still worked in what I'll call a commute. L had a soccer tournament (they lost all 3 and it's all depressing) over behind Oxmoor. Needing to get some more miles in, I switched the the Blueridge's Mavic Open wheels+28C Gatorskinz on to the Crosscheck and away ho. I was tempting fate b/c I went out yet again, only a week later, on the Crosscheck with nary a tool, tube or pump. I threaded through Cherokee, St.Matthews and The Mall (that's the older name, but I still prefer it) and finally arrived at the Gauntlet- Shelbyville Rd. from The Mall to Oxmoor Mall. For those not in town, this is one of those 6-lane monstrosities including an interchange with our local ring road- 264/The Watterson in this case. I'm pretty confident of my skills and generally commuter logic, but these intersections are simply NOT built for bikes and you're one distracted cellphonesoccermomSUV away for biting it. I cross unscathed but with a 6" birds-eye view of a Mercedes SUV on my left. Guess he either needed to assert himself or was just a dumb fucking piece of shit. Whichever.

The return trip was a little easier, through St. Matthews on the north side, then through Seneca and Cherokee, giving me 22 miles of errand/commuting mileage. And b/c I was riding a relatively aggressive (as compared to the LHT or the Bleriot)
frame with slightly narrower tires, I pushed it and rode pretty hard. good stuff in great weather. Now if the futbol team could just get a win.

Comments

Popular Posts