Derby City Cup

I'm a little disgusted. I was totally soaked Monday afternoon and haven't been on a bike since then. We've had almost 9" of rain since, and the transition from 75F/sunny to 55F/raining like hell hasn't done well with me. And last night poor L was up and down with stomach flu/food poisoning- he barfed again this evening- and that's just hard hard hard. So no bikes, @#@#$.

On a different note, the 'Ville is hosting one segment of the biggest 'cross series in the U.S., the U.S. Gran Prix. This is big stuff here in the heartland. We have a pretty active 'cross culture, one that I participated in night many 6 or 7 years ago. Now I'm fatter, intentionally slower, and have an ankle that can't hold any appreciable explosive movement. This weekend, though, the best American racers (excluding Belgianish Jonathon Page) have descended here to partake of our future "Champions Park". This is the area I blogged a month or so ago. The course is set up on the old River Road CC, and it's going to be table-top flat, with lots of run-ups and dismounts in and around the old greens, tees, and sand traps. It could be spectacular. I'm going Sunday and am hopping to catch the UCI big boys race. There's going to be a "Belgian" beer tent, so whether I get home is another issue, b/c of course I'll ride there on the Crosscheck.


This smallish pic to the right is of Tim Johnson, he of a junior silver medal at the 'cross worlds, and he who nicely answered my Qs a few years ago via website. I'm rooting for him. Since the start of September I've lost around 13lbs, so doing 'cross next year, aside from an epic century this summer, is something I could aspire to achieve, aside winning the @%@#@# state tennis title.

Tomorrow the bike? Vamos a ver. Z has a game, and we have flooring and lighting to shop for, aside from the good wife going to a social engagement or 2. And L is still puny. Life, my friend, Life.

Comments

Doug said…
It's a cryin' shame if you can't get out to take in some of the cross action.
amidnightrider said…
We haven't had nine inches of rain all summer here and fall is winding down.

The cross national will be comming back to Providence soon. I'll be taking that action in when it happens. Maybe even work it.

Popular Posts